Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What determines whether or not a matrix is stable?

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    Basically, I'm having difficulty understanding the concept of stability, I have reread the chapter in my book various times, but to no avail. Can anybody give a very brief overview in simplified terms as to what determines whether or not a matrix is stable. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're posting this in the algebra section. So do you mean things like stability conditions of representations of quivers? I doubt it. What topic do you really mean?

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3

J77

Judging from your earlier post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1301361#post1301361 ...

you want to find the stability in terms of the eigenvalues [tex]\lambda[/tex] of an [tex]n\times n[/tex] matrix [tex]A[/tex].

In which case, you first step is to compute the determinant of [tex]\Delta[/tex]; the characteristic equation given by [tex]\Delta=A-\lambda I[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?