1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What determines whether or not a matrix is stable?

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    Basically, I'm having difficulty understanding the concept of stability, I have reread the chapter in my book various times, but to no avail. Can anybody give a very brief overview in simplified terms as to what determines whether or not a matrix is stable. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're posting this in the algebra section. So do you mean things like stability conditions of representations of quivers? I doubt it. What topic do you really mean?

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3

J77

Judging from your earlier post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1301361#post1301361 ...

you want to find the stability in terms of the eigenvalues [tex]\lambda[/tex] of an [tex]n\times n[/tex] matrix [tex]A[/tex].

In which case, you first step is to compute the determinant of [tex]\Delta[/tex]; the characteristic equation given by [tex]\Delta=A-\lambda I[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?