What did I do wrong in calculating the x-component of net displacement?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joe91090
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Joe91090
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
What did I do Wrong ??

Homework Statement



A car travels 2.14km in the x direction then turns left 71.6 degrees to the original direction and travels an additional distance of 2.58km. calculate the x component of the cars net displacement.

Homework Equations



law of cosines

The Attempt at a Solution



plugged knowns into law of cosines equations got 2.78. what did I do wrong ??
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Draw a picture, you should have a right triangle. There is no need for the law of cosines.
 


Ive drawn several pictures does it just look like a right triangle ?
 


Draw a line downwards from the final position to the x-axis...now do you see the right triangle?
 


yes then your 71.6 degrees left so does yours look acute or obtuse ?
 


well if your saying its a right angle it must be acute. I am still not sure its a right angle
 


so the answer would be the displacement from (0,0) to the tip of the other vector ?