What did you learn today?

• Thread starter Daniel Y.
  • Start date

Daniel Y.

Every day I would come home from school and my sister would ask me, "what did you learn today?" Sometimes I'd stammer and tell her I hadn't learned anything useful, while other days I'd happily tell her I read Phaedo or learned what an isotope is. In the 'Does your interest in learning cease at a certain age?' thread jimmysynder reminded me of this old tradition we had.

So today, tomorrow, and any day you get the chance, post something you learned. Anything from a new physics equation to a new word - whatever it is regardless of how technical or simple. I'll start.

Today I learned how to measure how big the Earth is using only the sunset when I'm laying down and when I'm standing.

hi
jun 5- world environmental day

the time taken for the light to reach earth from sun is
just ONE second

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I learned that my birthday falls during National Procrastination Week. I wish I would have learned that sooner.

the time taken for the light to reach earth from sun is
just ONE second
That's true if you're also moving from the Sun to the Earth at 99.9% of the speed of light.

Well, at least according to your clock. Astronuc's clock might disagree if he's just lollygagging on Earth.

Last edited:
I learned that the first day of summer this year is on the 21st.

Following BobG's birthday discovery I self looked into if anything interesting happened on my birthday, and indeed it did! I have the same birthday as J.R.R. Tolkien!

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I learned that my birthday falls during National Procrastination Week.
How did get around to setting the date for that?

seycyrus

How did get around to setting the date for that?
They sent out a survey asking respondents to pick a week. The procrastinators never got back to them, so they got what was left over.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Following BobG's birthday discovery I self looked into if anything interesting happened on my birthday, and indeed it did! I have the same birthday as J.R.R. Tolkien!
Wow! You've got a lot better birthday than me. On my birthday, Thomas Edison didn't invent the movie camera; Osama Bin Laden was born; some jerk of a boss said, "Come here, I want to see you" on the phone for the first time; the NASDAQ peaked at 5132.52 and the dot.com boom started its crash; and some scientist told me, "There's rings around Uranus."

It almost makes me embarrassed to wear a T-shirt with my birthdate (Julian date {except for leap years}) on it.

Last edited:
hai
world pie(22/7) day is march 14

AhmedEzz

Today I learned about general and special relativity, it was really exciting, I think most of the physicists when they get old, they remember times like these ~ learning new stuff.

I learn at least 10 new facts every day. But it would be too much time for me to type it all.

Today, I learned that the there are significant sequence homology and functional similarities between the type-II secretory system, the type IV-pilus and the archaebacterial flagellum.

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Today I learned about general and special relativity, it was really exciting, I think most of the physicists when they get old, they remember times like these ~ learning new stuff.
I disagree. I may be a young guy myself(rising college senior), but it seems to be the greatest part about being a scientist is that there is always new stuff to learn, no matter what stage of your education your at.

Maybe im alone on this one, but I dont get 'excited' to learn anything. I just like learning things, but I dont go 'yes, now im learning (x,y,z)!'. I just go, 'ah, thats interesting....NEXT'.

The only time I get 'excited' is when Im able to see something working in the real world and go, 'ah, this is a _fill_in_the_blank". I know all about this. Why this was designed this way, and not that way. etc, etc. Or who designed it, and what it means.

Last edited:

AhmedEzz

Today, I learned that the there are significant sequence homology and functional similarities between the type-II secretory system, the type IV-pilus and the archaebacterial flagellum.
Now that's just showing off :rofl:

The expected absolute value of the sum of the signed displacements of m random walkers after n steps is the same as the expected absolute value of the displacement of 1 random walker after n x m steps.

turbo

Gold Member
I learned that a truck bumper that has rotted braces on one side can have LOTS of healthy metal in the braces on the other side, requiring a lot of sawing to sever. Luckily, I have 18V Makita power tools and had a still-usable metal blade.

I learned that the bottle of water I bought from the store had a hole in it. This consequently led to the revelation that water and paper don't mix. And finally I learned that when I return this book on monte-carlo simulation to the library I may have to pay a fine. All in all it's been a pretty informative day.

And finally I learned that when I return this book on monte-carlo simulation to the library I may have to pay a fine.
Maybe not. I borrowed a library book to take on a camping trip. This was when Hurricane Agnes hit. The book was partially moist and thoroughly soaked. I dried it out and brought the amazing looking thing back to the library to assess the fine. They took the book back and told me not to worry about it.

Evo

Mentor
Adolf Hitler commited suicide on my birthday, a few years ealier though.

turbo

Gold Member
He knew you were coming.

I learned that at 51, if you drink and think going down a jello slide, which is on the top of a double decker bus, is gonna be fun. That you really need to re-think what your idea of fun really is.