Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What did you learn today?

1. Jun 8, 2008 #1
    Every day I would come home from school and my sister would ask me, "what did you learn today?" Sometimes I'd stammer and tell her I hadn't learned anything useful, while other days I'd happily tell her I read Phaedo or learned what an isotope is. In the 'Does your interest in learning cease at a certain age?' thread jimmysynder reminded me of this old tradition we had.

So today, tomorrow, and any day you get the chance, post something you learned. Anything from a new physics equation to a new word - whatever it is regardless of how technical or simple. I'll start.

Today I learned how to measure how big the Earth is using only the sunset when I'm laying down and when I'm standing.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2
    jun 5- world environmental day
  4. Jun 13, 2008 #3
    the time taken for the light to reach earth from sun is
    just ONE second
  5. Jun 13, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

6. Jun 13, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I learned that my birthday falls during National Procrastination Week. I wish I would have learned that sooner.

That's true if you're also moving from the Sun to the Earth at 99.9% of the speed of light.

Well, at least according to your clock. Astronuc's clock might disagree if he's just lollygagging on Earth.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  7. Jun 13, 2008 #6
    I learned that the first day of summer this year is on the 21st.
  8. Jun 13, 2008 #7
    Following BobG's birthday discovery I self looked into if anything interesting happened on my birthday, and indeed it did! I have the same birthday as J.R.R. Tolkien!
  9. Jun 13, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did get around to setting the date for that?
  10. Jun 13, 2008 #9
    They sent out a survey asking respondents to pick a week. The procrastinators never got back to them, so they got what was left over.
  11. Jun 13, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow! You've got a lot better birthday than me. On my birthday, Thomas Edison didn't invent the movie camera; Osama Bin Laden was born; some jerk of a boss said, "Come here, I want to see you" on the phone for the first time; the NASDAQ peaked at 5132.52 and the dot.com boom started its crash; and some scientist told me, "There's rings around Uranus."

It almost makes me embarrassed to wear a T-shirt with my birthdate (Julian date {except for leap years}) on it.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  12. Jun 15, 2008 #11
    world pie(22/7) day is march 14
  13. Jun 15, 2008 #12
    Today I learned about general and special relativity, it was really exciting, I think most of the physicists when they get old, they remember times like these ~ learning new stuff.
  14. Jun 15, 2008 #13
    I learn at least 10 new facts every day. But it would be too much time for me to type it all.
  15. Jun 15, 2008 #14
  16. Jun 15, 2008 #15
    Today, I learned that the there are significant sequence homology and functional similarities between the type-II secretory system, the type IV-pilus and the archaebacterial flagellum.
  17. Jun 15, 2008 #16

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I disagree. I may be a young guy myself(rising college senior), but it seems to be the greatest part about being a scientist is that there is always new stuff to learn, no matter what stage of your education your at.
  18. Jun 15, 2008 #17
    Maybe im alone on this one, but I dont get 'excited' to learn anything. I just like learning things, but I dont go 'yes, now im learning (x,y,z)!'. I just go, 'ah, thats interesting....NEXT'.

The only time I get 'excited' is when Im able to see something working in the real world and go, 'ah, this is a _fill_in_the_blank". I know all about this. Why this was designed this way, and not that way. etc, etc. Or who designed it, and what it means.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  19. Jun 16, 2008 #18
    Now that's just showing off :rofl:
  20. Jun 17, 2008 #19
    The expected absolute value of the sum of the signed displacements of m random walkers after n steps is the same as the expected absolute value of the displacement of 1 random walker after n x m steps.
  21. Jun 17, 2008 #20

Gold Member

I learned that a truck bumper that has rotted braces on one side can have LOTS of healthy metal in the braces on the other side, requiring a lot of sawing to sever. Luckily, I have 18V Makita power tools and had a still-usable metal blade.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?