1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What diffy Q solving methods are most important?

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to get a feel for what's important and what's not so important. For example is memorizing the Frobenius method important or is it something you don't use much? I'm asking from the perspective of a grad student.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2
    Normally one would look up the general solution to some differential equation and then apply any initial conditions or boundary values. What you should focus is knowing what a differential equation is, how to set up a problem that will produce such equation (like what you do in mechanics), etc. You may need more or less depending what you personal interests and goals are. I wouldn't bother memorizing any particular method as you'll just forget it. Although, it would be helpful to be able to recognize that a differential equation has already been solved before that way you can look up the solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook