What Distance x Gives the Least Period for a Physical Pendulum?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
ghetto_bird25
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In Fig. 16-41, a stick of length L = 1.6 m oscillates as a physical pendulum. (a) What value of distance x between the stick's center of mass and its pivot point O gives the least period? (b) What is that least period?
http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1141/art/qb/qu/c16/Fig15_46.gif



Homework Equations


well I'm assuming you have to use the equation for a a physical pendulum which is
T= 2pi [tex]\sqrt{I/mgh}[/tex]
where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass, g is gravity, and h is the distance between the axis of rotation and the centre of the pendulum.

The Attempt at a Solution


i tried using that equation but i don't understand the value for I because I am assuming if the value for h changes then the other end of the rod changes as well.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Moment of Inertia of the center of mass is

[tex]I_0=\frac{mL^2}{12}[/tex]

If it is pivoted distance x from the centre

[tex]I=I_0+mx^2[/tex]

[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{mgx}}=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I_0+mx^2}{mgx}}[/tex]

for T minimum we have
[tex]\frac{dT}{dx}=0[/tex]