What do black holes look like?

1. They have to have some color, yeah?
  2. jcsd
  3. No, why would you think they have color when they are called "black"??? To have color a thing has to radiate. Black holes may do Hawking Radiation but that certainly could not be called a color and they do not otherwise radiate (the ACCRETION DISK may radiate but that is outside the BH).

What DO they look like? They look like a hole in space. A black hole. See how simple some things are?
  4. Danger

Danger 9,663
    Gold Member

Yeah, you can't "see" one. The predominant colour, which comes from the accretion disc rather than the hole itself, is gamma/X-ray.
  5. OmCheeto

OmCheeto 2,232
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

According to this website, black is a color.

ps. Black holes look like the eye of the bird that smacked into my window this morning. I held her for at least half an hour before she flew away. She was quite stunned by her near instantaneous deceleration.
  6. Danger

Danger 9,663
    Gold Member

Clever, my son... fiendishly clever. You have, however, overlooked the cause of your doom. (Where is the smilie for wringing one's hands in evil glee?)
    The colour or lack thereof regarding a black hole is irrelevant. Since it (the singularity) is literally a "mathematical point" of zero size, it is too small to be seen. :tongue:
    1 person likes this.
  7. WannabeNewton

WannabeNewton 5,859
    Science Advisor

A black hole singularity need not be a point, see Kerr black holes. With regards to its near thermal black body nature, see the discussion here: http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/61582/is-a-black-hole-a-perfect-black-body

A black hole has a very precise, mathematical definition which, unfortunately, will be too difficult to understand if you have never studied GR. This wiki article describes things rather well without using much math: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole#Properties_and_structure
  8. OmCheeto

OmCheeto 2,232
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Unfortunately, I don't believe in "mathematical points" of zero size.

That would yield an infinity.

And I don't believe in that either.

And I need a new brain. The image of my birds eye looks nothing like a black hole...

9. Bill_K

Bill_K 4,157
    Science Advisor

See this paper by Bill Ames, for a complete analysis.
  10. The top image from this website is '..a general relativistic visualization of a supercomputed magneto-hydrodynamic simulation of a disk and jet around a black hole.'-

11. All you need to know is that the milky way goes into a black hole. Just like..you know... :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted