What do I need before starting to learn electrodynamics?

I am a high school sophomore and I want to take part in Physics Olympiads which is exactly why I want to learn electrodynamics. I have ordered 'An Introduction to Electrodynamics' by D.J. Griffiths. I am halfway through MIT OCW mechanics course and I know Calculus equivalent to standard Calculus 2 courses. I am wondering if there are any prerequisites to learn Electrodynamics (at least in Physics). I also have Irodov Electrodynamics and I am not finding the book very hard to comprehend but it does not contain problems. I am truly enjoying this wonderful Physics journey.
Please tell me if I have to learn anything else before taking on the subject and also suggest good online resources. Thanks in advance :)

Answers and Replies

Scrumhalf
Gold Member
I am a high school sophomore and I want to take part in Physics Olympiads which is exactly why I want to learn electrodynamics. I have ordered 'An Introduction to Electrodynamics' by D.J. Griffiths. I am halfway through MIT OCW mechanics course and I know Calculus equivalent to standard Calculus 2 courses. I am wondering if there are any prerequisites to learn Electrodynamics (at least in Physics). I also have Irodov Electrodynamics and I am not finding the book very hard to comprehend but it does not contain problems. I am truly enjoying this wonderful Physics journey.
Please tell me if I have to learn anything else before taking on the subject and also suggest good online resources. Thanks in advance :)
Not sure what Calculus 2 is. Is that Vector Calculus? You need vector calculus to study electrodynamics.

'Div, grad, curl, and all that' introduces vector calculus informally in the context of electrostatics which could be useful if you don't know vector calculus yet.

Likes Ujjwal Basumatary and Scrumhalf
Scrumhalf
Gold Member
^ That's a great book. I got it for my son and he really liked it as he was taking his multivariable calculus class. I wish I had that book when I was going through my freshman year! :smile:

Likes Ujjwal Basumatary
Not sure what Calculus 2 is. Is that Vector Calculus? You need vector calculus to study electrodynamics.
Unfortunately no, I haven't learnt enough vector calc yet. Will start soon. Can you please name some nice resources? Thank you.

Scrumhalf
Gold Member
Can you please name some nice resources? Thank you.
Sure. Kreyszig is a decent start. It will do fo what you are trying to do. You can pick one up for less than Rs. 500. Eswar.com has it.

http://www.eswar.com/book.htm?bookcode=0059283

Also, get Div, Grad, Curl and All that..

Not sure if it is available in India - perhaps you could check the library of a local college.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone :)