Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What adapter do I need before moving to America?

1. Mar 27, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I don't know if this question is appropriate for the forum, but I didn't know where else to ask. This is my situation: I'm soon moving to America and I'm taking my Sony Vaio laptop with me. In its battery the laptop says it works with 100V-240V and 50/60Hz which means that it will be compatible there, but I have an other problem. I have bought an adapter which reads 250V/10A. Will this adapter cause me trouble?Logically it needed to read 110/120 V to be compatible in America, or am I wrong?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2015 #2
    Can you return the adapter? :)

4. Mar 27, 2015 #3
    Oh, I see :/ I think it won't be worth it...I bought it on ebay, it wasn't too expensive. But anyways thank you very much for your answer :)

5. Mar 27, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There are some 240V, 60Hz outlets in homes in the US, for things like large appliances (clothes dryers, etc.). They use a different plug, so you may be able to find a plug adapter to go from the 240V house outlet to your adapter's power plug. Does the adapter list any frequency limitations?

These are the typical US outlets for 120V and 240V:

http://www.heatersplus.com/images/heattr16.gif
    heattr16.gif

6. Mar 27, 2015 #5

Thanks @berkeman. I checked it and it only has 250V/10A on. I also asked in another forum and I got a great answer, which said that those values are maximum outputs, so I'll be safe to use the 'shape' adapter I bought

7. Mar 27, 2015 #6

berkeman

No, if it's a power adapter, those numbers are the nominal input voltage (RMS) and the maximum output current. What is the output voltage?

Can you attach a picture of it?

8. Mar 27, 2015 #7
    So my laptop battery charger has this values: OUTPUT: 19.5V - 4.7A ; INPUT: 100V-240V -- 1.1A-0.5A, and the outlet converter is really simple, it's shown below and it has 250V/10A. I hope this is the information you required...

Attached Files:

9. Mar 27, 2015 #8

berkeman

Oohhh! It's just a passive plug adapter. I was misunderstanding you.

So yeah, that passive plug adapter is rated up to 250V between the 2 conductors, and up to 10Arms passing through the conductors. You're good! :smile:

10. Mar 27, 2015 #9
    Thank you! I really appreciate your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook