What do I need before starting to learn electrodynamics?

In summary, before starting to learn electrodynamics, one needs a solid understanding of basic physics concepts such as vectors, calculus, and differential equations. It is also important to have a strong foundation in classical mechanics and electromagnetism. Additionally, a thorough knowledge of mathematical tools such as vector calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis is essential. Familiarity with computer programming and simulation software can also be helpful in understanding and applying concepts in electrodynamics.
Ujjwal Basumatary
I am a high school sophomore and I want to take part in Physics Olympiads which is exactly why I want to learn electrodynamics. I have ordered 'An Introduction to Electrodynamics' by D.J. Griffiths. I am halfway through MIT OCW mechanics course and I know Calculus equivalent to standard Calculus 2 courses. I am wondering if there are any prerequisites to learn Electrodynamics (at least in Physics). I also have Irodov Electrodynamics and I am not finding the book very hard to comprehend but it does not contain problems. I am truly enjoying this wonderful Physics journey.
Please tell me if I have to learn anything else before taking on the subject and also suggest good online resources. Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ujjwal Basumatary said:
I am a high school sophomore and I want to take part in Physics Olympiads which is exactly why I want to learn electrodynamics. I have ordered 'An Introduction to Electrodynamics' by D.J. Griffiths. I am halfway through MIT OCW mechanics course and I know Calculus equivalent to standard Calculus 2 courses. I am wondering if there are any prerequisites to learn Electrodynamics (at least in Physics). I also have Irodov Electrodynamics and I am not finding the book very hard to comprehend but it does not contain problems. I am truly enjoying this wonderful Physics journey.
Please tell me if I have to learn anything else before taking on the subject and also suggest good online resources. Thanks in advance :)
Not sure what Calculus 2 is. Is that Vector Calculus? You need vector calculus to study electrodynamics.

'Div, grad, curl, and all that' introduces vector calculus informally in the context of electrostatics which could be useful if you don't know vector calculus yet.

Likes Ujjwal Basumatary and Scrumhalf
^ That's a great book. I got it for my son and he really liked it as he was taking his multivariable calculus class. I wish I had that book when I was going through my freshman year! :smile:

Likes Ujjwal Basumatary
Scrumhalf said:
Not sure what Calculus 2 is. Is that Vector Calculus? You need vector calculus to study electrodynamics.
Unfortunately no, I haven't learned enough vector calc yet. Will start soon. Can you please name some nice resources? Thank you.

Ujjwal Basumatary said:
Can you please name some nice resources? Thank you.

Sure. Kreyszig is a decent start. It will do fo what you are trying to do. You can pick one up for less than Rs. 500. Eswar.com has it.

http://www.eswar.com/book.htm?bookcode=0059283

Also, get Div, Grad, Curl and All that..

Not sure if it is available in India - perhaps you could check the library of a local college.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone :)

What is Electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

Why is it important to learn Electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is important because it is the foundation for understanding many modern technologies, including electronics, telecommunications, power generation, and medical imaging.

What are the prerequisites for learning Electrodynamics?

Before starting to learn Electrodynamics, you should have a solid understanding of calculus, vector calculus, and differential equations. It is also helpful to have a basic knowledge of mechanics and electromagnetism.

What resources are available for learning Electrodynamics?

There are many resources available for learning Electrodynamics, including textbooks, online courses, tutorials, and practice problems. You can also attend lectures or join study groups to supplement your learning.

How can I apply Electrodynamics in real life?

Electrodynamics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as powering homes and businesses, transmitting information through telecommunication devices, and creating medical imaging technologies. It also plays a crucial role in the development of renewable energy sources and advanced technologies like quantum computing.