What do the subscripts fpq and fqp mean in coupled oscillators and waves?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
roam
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



The following is a question from an old assignment on coupled oscillators and waves:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/601/question2.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution



So, I'm a confused about the meaning of the subscripts fpq and fqp. What do they mean?

Do fp and fq refer to partial derivatives of the function? If so what do fpq and fqp mean?

I've consulted the textbook physics of vibrations and waves, but I couldn't see what these subscripts stand for. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The symbol [itex]f_p[/itex] represents the partial derivative of [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]p[/itex] (and similarly for [itex]q[/itex]) while the symbol [itex]f_{pq}[/itex] may be better understood when rewritten as [itex](f_p)_q[/itex]. In words, differentiate [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]p[/itex] and then differentiate the resulting derivative with respect to [itex]q[/itex].
 
SOA Andrew said:
The symbol [itex]f_p[/itex] represents the partial derivative of [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]p[/itex] (and similarly for [itex]q[/itex]) while the symbol [itex]f_{pq}[/itex] may be better understood when rewritten as [itex](f_p)_q[/itex]. In words, differentiate [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]p[/itex] and then differentiate the resulting derivative with respect to [itex]q[/itex].

Thank you so much for the clarification. I see, the notation they've used wasn't clear.