Transvese Velocity of a Standing Wave

In summary, a guitar string in equilibrium has one end fixed at x=0 and a sinusoidal wave with amplitude A=0.750 mm and frequency f=440 Hz travels along the string in the -x-direction at a speed of 143m/s. When reflected from the fixed end, a standing wave is formed. To find the displacement of a point on the string as a function of position and time, use the equation ∂y(x,t)/∂t=AswSin(kx)Cos(wt)w. The nodes can be located using the equation position of a node=λ/2. The amplitude of the standing wave, maximum transverse velocity, and acceleration can be found by finding the position of a
Bassa
λ∂

Homework Statement

Aguitar string lies along the x-axis when in equilibrium. The end of
the string at x=0 (the bridge of the guitar) is fixed. A sinusoidal
wave with amplitude A=0.750 mm and frequency
f =440 Hz, corresponding to the red curves in Fig. 15.24,
travels along the string in the -x-direction at 143m/s. It is reflected
from the fixed end, and the superposition of the incident and reflected
waves forms a standing wave. (a) Find the equation giving the displacement
of a point on the string as a function of position and time.
(b) Locate the nodes. (c) Find the amplitude of the standing wave and
the maximum transverse velocity and acceleration.

Homework Equations

∂y(x,t)/∂t=AswSin(kx)Cos(wt)w
T=1/f
λ=v/f
position of a node=λ/2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I get how to do everything up until part c.[/B]
The partial derivative of the transverse wave with respect to time and holding x constant is:

∂y(x,t)/∂t=(4.15/m/s)sin[(19.3 rad/m)x]cos[(2760rad/sec)t

Now, by just looking at this function, I could tell that the maximum velocity is 4.15. The function will oscillate between +4.15 and -4.15.

Well, I thought that if I find the position of a node and the time at which it will occur, this function would yield to an answer of 4.15m/s.

The values I used for the period is .002sec so, a node will happen at half a period which is .001sec.
One wavelength is .325m and a node will happen half way through. This means that a node will occur at x=.1625m.

When I plug in the values in the above equation I get -.020599061m/s which is not the correct an answer. Would you please let me know if I am thinking about this incorrectly? Doesn't maximum velocity happen at the intersection point with the x-axis? Isn't this point a node in this case? This is an example in a textbook and I am trying to figure the maximum velocity by not just looking at the amplitude of the function.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of Transverse Velocity of a Standing Wave?

The transverse velocity of a standing wave is the speed at which a point on the wave moves up and down perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation.

2. How is Transverse Velocity of a Standing Wave calculated?

The transverse velocity of a standing wave can be calculated by multiplying the frequency of the wave by the wavelength.

3. What factors influence the Transverse Velocity of a Standing Wave?

The transverse velocity of a standing wave is influenced by the frequency and wavelength of the wave, as well as the medium through which the wave is traveling.

4. What is the relationship between Transverse Velocity and Transverse Displacement in a Standing Wave?

The transverse velocity and transverse displacement of a standing wave have an inverse relationship. This means that when the velocity is at its maximum, the displacement is at its minimum, and vice versa.

5. Why is understanding Transverse Velocity of a Standing Wave important?

Understanding transverse velocity is important because it helps us study and analyze the behavior of standing waves, which have various practical applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electronics.