Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do we know about Holons and Spinons?

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hi;

What do we know about the holon and the spinon (the 2 particles that make up an electron)? And have these been accepted in physics?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

So I've heard that the holon is also called the chargon, which carries the charge of the electron. The spinon is responsible for the spin of the electron, then?

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3
    Im no expert on the matter, but I think you might be misinterpreting what a holon and spinon actually are. According to Wikipedia they are quasiparticles. Quasiparticles and particles are not the same thing. The electron is still thought to be a fundamental particle (cannot be divided). Quasiparticles are a way of understanding the behavior of the electron.

5. Mar 2, 2010 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You definitely have misinterpreted what these are.

Note that if I have bare, non-interacting electrons, the concept of "holons" and "spins" don't exist, the same way the concept of "phonon" does not exist in a non-interacting system. These are many-body excitations, a collective effect. Their existence are verifiable. But they are not used in the way that you are thinking of.

Zz.

6. Mar 17, 2010 #5

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I think I get it, but I sort of don't at the same time. Are you saying it is like stating that a wave can be split up into two particles that carry amplitude and frequency?

So how do we know the holon and spinon quasiparticles exist?

7. Mar 21, 2010 #6

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Sorry for the bump but I've been researching this for days and I can't find the answer....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook