What do we understand of the brain?

• Thread starter jonjacson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation covered topics related to the chemical substrate for ideas, how neurons work, recommendations for books on neurochemistry, and the origin of mental diseases. It was suggested that a basic understanding of biochemistry and biophysics is necessary to fully comprehend these concepts and that starting with quality YouTube videos, such as those from the Royal Institute, could be a helpful starting point.
jonjacson
Now I am thinking about a pink Elephant, Does anybody understand what is the chemical substrate for an idea?

How do neuron work? IS that understood?

Can anybody recommend me a book from 2017 or 2018 where I can learn about it. What have been the latest neurochemistry findings?

What is the origin of mental diseases?

Thanks for your time!

Biology news on Phys.org
jonjacson said:
Now I am thinking about a pink Elephant, Does anybody understand what is the chemical substrate for an idea?

How do neuron work? IS that understood?

Can anybody recommend me a book from 2017 or 2018 where I can learn about it. What have been the latest neurochemistry findings?

What is the origin of mental diseases?

Thanks for your time!
We know that neurons transmit signals by using electrical energy.
At a slightly deeper level we know this involves energy being exchanged between Potassium and Sodium compounds.
We have no clue at all so far how this electricity gives rise to consciousness of elephants or colors,

Likes 256bits and Evo
Each of your questions covers a huge amount of information. You need to understand basic biochemistry and some biophysics to read most books.
Based on how you asked you questions (way too broad really) I would suggest trying some quality youtube videos, as a starting point. Then move on to books if you seem to have a good grip on what they presented. These are from the Royal Institute (Britain ) set of colloquia - which are meant for non-scienctists to learn science. And they are interesting, IMO.

https://www.physicsforums.com/media...designs-the-software-with-daniel-dennett.870/
https://www.physicsforums.com/media/the-neuroscience-of-consciousness-with-anil-seth.868/
https://www.physicsforums.com/media...ith-daniel-dennett-questions-and-answers.869/
https://www.physicsforums.com/media...ess-with-anil-seth-questions-and-answers.867/

I am closing the thread - when you get through these four videos, come back with specific questions.

Likes BillTre, 256bits and Evo

1. What is the function of the brain?

The brain is responsible for controlling and coordinating all of the body's functions, including movement, sensation, thought, and emotion. It also plays a crucial role in memory, learning, and decision making.

2. How does the brain process information?

The brain processes information through a complex network of neurons, which send and receive electrical signals. These signals travel through the brain's various regions, each with a specific function, and are interpreted to form our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors.

3. Can the brain change and adapt?

Yes, the brain is highly adaptable and has the ability to change its structure and function in response to new experiences and learning. This phenomenon is known as neuroplasticity and plays a critical role in our ability to learn, form memories, and recover from brain injuries.

4. What are the most important structures of the brain?

Some of the most important structures of the brain include the cerebrum, which is responsible for higher cognitive functions such as thinking and problem-solving, the cerebellum, which is involved in coordination and balance, and the brainstem, which controls basic bodily functions like breathing and heart rate.

5. How does the brain control behavior?

The brain controls behavior through a combination of internal and external factors. Our genetics, environment, and experiences all play a role in shaping our behavior, as well as the brain's structure and chemical composition. Additionally, the brain's reward and punishment systems play a crucial role in motivating and regulating behavior.