1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What do you call a parallelepiped that isn't a cube?

  1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    I was curious what you would call a parallelepiped that isn't a cube and isn't a rectangle and isn't just a rhombohedron? Here is my problem...I need to describe an oblique/tilted parallelepiped but if I just say 'parallelepiped' that would include a cube or rectangle (which I am not referring to). Should I just say oblique parallelepiped? Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2


    Staff: Mentor

  4. Aug 16, 2016 #3
    I think parallelepipeds are a subset of Prisms. I need a subset of a parallelepiped. But thank you.
  5. Aug 16, 2016 #4


    Staff: Mentor

    Here's some more definitions to consider:


    It looks like though you'll have to use some adjective in front of parallelepiped to describe what you mean like perhaps a non-rectangular parallelepiped which excludes square and rectangular faces.

    You quest is similar to describing the set of real numbers without integers. There may be no proper term for it as there is no obvious need to define it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted

Similar Discussions: What do you call a parallelepiped that isn't a cube?