What do you do with a computer engineering degree?

In summary, computer engineering is a field that combines electrical engineering and computer science. Some example careers include making computer components, designing embedded software, and working in the auto industry. However, many computer engineers also work in generic IT jobs.
tahayassen
What are some example careers? What do you usually do? Hardware? Make computers?

Physics news on Phys.org
To my knowledge, hardware-oriented stuff like making CPUs and GPUs so yes, making computers. Just to be clear, making computers is not the same thing as building computers. Making computers means to build the parts whereas building computers is to assemble the parts like LEGO built by Computer Engineers. There is also a software component but to a lesser extend than Software Engineering. Computer Engineering resembles Electrical Engineering more than Software Engineering but is somewhere between the two (but closer to Electrical Engineering like I said).

Computer engineering is a mix of electrical engineering and computer science.

You can make computer components, but I think some of the more interesting jobs I've heard of out there are available to computer engineers are embedded software. Programming devices that use computer chips in some way (which is everything). Living in the Flint/Detroit area I've heard a lot about auto industry related positions where computer engineers can get jobs. Maybe not now, but I'm sure the skills for embedded software are transferrable.

Never actually worked them though. Most of what I've done are generic IT jobs.

1. What kind of job can I get with a computer engineering degree?

Computer engineering graduates have a wide range of career options, including roles in software development, hardware engineering, data analytics, cybersecurity, and more. They can work in industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and telecommunications.

2. Is a computer engineering degree the same as a computer science degree?

No, computer engineering and computer science are two separate fields. Computer engineering focuses on the design and development of hardware and software systems, while computer science is more theoretical and focuses on the algorithms, programming languages, and data structures used in computing.

3. How long does it take to earn a computer engineering degree?

On average, it takes four years to earn a bachelor's degree in computer engineering. However, some programs offer a five-year co-op option, which allows students to gain work experience while completing their degree.

4. Do I need to be good at math to major in computer engineering?

While a strong foundation in math is beneficial, it is not a requirement for a computer engineering degree. Some programs may have math prerequisites, but most courses will focus on the practical application of math concepts rather than advanced theoretical math.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of computer engineering?

Yes, many computer engineering programs offer specialization options, such as software engineering, robotics, or computer networks. These specializations allow students to focus on a specific area of interest and gain specialized knowledge and skills that can make them more competitive in the job market.