What do you want your legacy to be?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, Eric believes that most people are under the delusion that they will matter in the future, and that he himself is no exception. He believes that our unattributed deeds may carry our influence around and beyond Earth, but he doesn't really care. He is hopeful for the future and believes that even geniuses like Einstein, Salk, and Gandhi will be remembered. He also believes that it is important to be remembered for something good, even if it is just as a good husband, father, or friend.
Loren Booda
Does it matter to you that someday all record of yourself might disappear? Would you prefer that your role as a beneficent human be recognized many years into the future?

I believe that most of us, myself included, are under the delusion that we as individuals will matter much in the times to come. Our unattributed deeds, however, may eventually carry our influence around and beyond Earth.

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
Does it matter to you that someday all record of yourself might disappear? Would you prefer that your role as a beneficent human be recognized many years into the future?

I believe that most of us, myself included, are under the delusion that we as individuals will matter much in the times to come. Our unattributed deeds, however, may eventually carry our influence around and beyond Earth.
I really don't care. I haven't done anything significant so don't expect to be remembered. Even if I did something significant, I am a private person and wouldn't want recognition.

I hope to be another http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_white_males"

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry if you are an Einstein, Salk, or Ghandi. Are you a Loren Booda?

What a great topic. I have thought about this quite a bit. I came to realize that I don't care if my name is attached something, but I do want something to exist that I brought to the human race. Whether it's creating new knowledge or inspiring something through teaching, it doesn't matter. Just talking about this gets me excited for the future.

I hope others share their thoughts on this topic.

-Eric

I just want to be a great father whose kids have it better than I.

My girlfriend reminds me not to get so caught up with recognition. I would rue being collared constantly.

A friend's father (also a friend) worked directly under three presidents. The poor guy used to be accosted in the supermarket or elsewhere. Kind of like King Midas, but without having sought the touch of fame.

Loren Booda said:

The only thing I care about is that I'm remembered as a good husband, father, and friend.

Dear Pam,

Please allow me to express my regrets concerning the loss of your beloved brother, Ray.

I first met Ray when I started volunteering at NAMI 16 years ago. I worked on the HelpLine, which was connected to the fulfillment room by a square cut in the wall through which we could hand materials. It was beyond that aperture where I first met Ray.

We both shared schizoaffective disorder, and we had had stints at St. Elizabeth's hospital. NAMI workers respected Ray for his rough road from military school to Medical school to homelessness to full-time employment to retirement. Having a Master's degree in physics, I would occasionally discuss such topics with Ray as black holes, the universe and the Sun. Ray had a wonderful disposition for one who was seemingly independent most of his life except for some beloved cats. No one at our office could match his personal strength, though.

He told me several tales of his life, including a time he was mugged, but his neighbors' concern made sure it would not happen again. When he lost some teeth by moving someone's lit cigarette from a St. E's pool table. How he was once married! How he was one of the top ten sharpshooters in the U.S.! His retirement send-off at NAMI was bittersweet, punctuated by Ray's addenda. Throughout his peregrinations he was a blessed survivor, and thanks to his family he lived a few months of peace safely in his own condominium. When I last saw Ray, on the HelpLine, he was in good spirits, and I allowed extra attention to listen to him. Cat, condo and health remained in the forefront.

For what he was given, he learned much more of life's lessons than most. He was truly a "traveler of all seasons."

Warmly,

Loren Booda

Dembadon said:
The only thing I care about is that I'm remembered as a good husband, father, and friend.

Well, my ex would say I'm a lousy spouse and friend, but I could say the same about her. After all, she left me, without cause.

She does say I'm a terrific father, though. Perhaps one day I'll meet the right gal who'll know that I'm a good husband and friend. As it is, I have a handful of good friends who know the truth on that front.

I'd also like to be known as someone who gets others to really think. I believe most of our nation's problems are caused by folks in power who act based on ideals rather than the cold, hard facts.

I will be remembered for the inspiring and spectacular manner in which I will die.

I've yet to figure out what it will be, but I suggest you all try to stay alive for it!

Loren Booda said:
Does it matter to you that someday all record of yourself might disappear?
Not in the slightest. I prefer not to waste time worrying about things I have no control over.

Our unattributed deeds, however, may eventually carry our influence around and beyond Earth.

Well, my unattributed deeds (at least, "unattributed" except to a fairly small group of people) are already carrying lots of people around Earth. You can see them every day at most commercial airports.

Actually I'm quite happy that they stay "unattributed", because that means they are doing what they are supposed to do, and not causing anybody problems!

Evo said:
I really don't care. I haven't done anything significant so don't expect to be remembered. Even if I did something significant, I am a private person and wouldn't want recognition.
I'll remember you. :smile: :approve:

I'd like to contribute to safer more reliable nuclear energy, and see a resolution to the waste disposition, and somewhat related I'd like to see a more sound space exploration program in place.

I'd also like to leave behind a kinder and gentler world where folks feel less threatened by things they don't know or understand, and where some folks are less angry or hateful.

I'd like to see the development of sustainable economic systems, which includes maintaining environmental integrity (maintaining clean air, clean water, cleaner energy).

I'd like to see universal literacy.

I'm working on these more or less.

Hopefully, I'll leave behind happy thoughts with those who know me.

I don't care to have a legacy or for recognition sort of like Evo. The universe is too great and I don't exactly validate myself based upon other people recognizing me and applauding what I may do or have done.

First emperor of the eternal galactic empire.

I hope to discover something nice before I die, connect scientific thought into something universally innovative and design structures. I just got to keep up my development of learning.

Loren Booda, I feel your legacy may be being extremely well-spoken and articulate. When I read your posts, I feel like I am reading a letter sent by a dignified person to the president. Possible a dignified person wearing a fancy hat.

bp_psy said:
First emperor of the eternal galactic empire.

LOl I was actually going to say that too.

I want to be known as Mr. Evo.

KingNothing said:
Loren Booda, I feel your legacy may be being extremely well-spoken and articulate. When I read your posts, I feel like I am reading a letter sent by a dignified person to the president. Possible a dignified person wearing a fancy hat.

Perhaps someday all of my words will have been deciphered. I would encourage the same among all, to understand each other.

Maybe I will become a smooth operator (with a hat).

Remember that without Nothing we could not have Everything.

Thanks for the boost.

I will carve Earth into a scale model of my face by detonating the 270,000+ nuclear weapons that I am currently burying in Earth's crust at specific points generated by some awesome software called Calculate Where to Place Your Nukes to Make Earth a Giant Scale Model of Your Face (for Windows 7 only). I will sit on my private Moon base and watch as Earth is carved away to resemble my face. Then I will force the survivors to rename Earth as my name under the threat that I will use the remaining 325,000 nuclear weapons of mine to make Earth 1/5 the size of the Moon.

This is how I plan to be remembered.

Last edited:

1. What is a legacy?

A legacy is something that a person leaves behind as a result of their actions, beliefs, or values. It can include their impact on others, their contributions to society, and the memories that people have of them.

2. Why is it important to think about one's legacy?

Thinking about one's legacy can help a person reflect on their goals, values, and impact. It can also inspire them to live a meaningful and purposeful life, knowing that their actions and choices will be remembered and have an impact on others.

3. How can one shape their legacy?

One can shape their legacy by actively living out their values and beliefs, making positive contributions to their community and society, and building strong relationships with others. It's also important to consider how one wants to be remembered and to make intentional choices that align with that desired legacy.

4. Can a legacy change over time?

Yes, a legacy can change over time. As a person grows and evolves, their values and beliefs may change, and they may make different choices that impact their legacy. Additionally, the way others perceive and remember a person can also affect their legacy.

5. Is a legacy only about accomplishments and achievements?

No, a legacy is not just about accomplishments and achievements. While those can certainly be a part of one's legacy, it also includes the impact a person has on others, their relationships, and the memories that people have of them. A person's character and the values they embody can also be an important part of their legacy.