Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does a circle with a slash through it mean?

1. Jul 21, 2016 #1
    I am reading European engineering publications, and the circle with a slash shows up about half of the time in front of length measurements. For example, Ø15 x 1.12 mm. What does this mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Diameter.

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3
    Makes sense, thanks.

5. Jul 22, 2016 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Could be a representation of digit ZERO.

6. Jul 22, 2016 #5
    Diameter is probably correct in your case but Ø is often used to distinguish zero form O. I have also seen it used for the greek letter phi on occasion.

7. Jul 23, 2016 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The format would make sense if it described a 15mm diameter bolt, threaded with a 1.12mm pitch thread.
    But 1.12mm is not a standard metric pitch.

8. Aug 6, 2016 #7
    It is a left-over from ancient computer programming practice. Back when data was entered by writing on paper than having it keypunched (are you old enough to know what a keypunch was?) and all alphabetic data was upper case, you needed some convention to distinguish O (letter) from 0 (zero) They look the same on paper, on the punch card, and on many printers. That goes back 50 years - I still do it out of habit.

9. Aug 7, 2016 #8

Svein

Science Advisor

... and to add to the confusion: Ø is a Norwegian/Danish character, (Oe ligature) equivalent to the Ö in German and Swedish.

10. Aug 7, 2016 #9
    this means a disc of diameter 15mm and thickness 1.12mm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted