1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does a circle with a slash through it mean?

1. Jul 21, 2016 #1
    I am reading European engineering publications, and the circle with a slash shows up about half of the time in front of length measurements. For example, Ø15 x 1.12 mm. What does this mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Diameter.

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3
    Makes sense, thanks.

5. Jul 22, 2016 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Could be a representation of digit ZERO.

6. Jul 22, 2016 #5
    Diameter is probably correct in your case but Ø is often used to distinguish zero form O. I have also seen it used for the greek letter phi on occasion.

7. Jul 23, 2016 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The format would make sense if it described a 15mm diameter bolt, threaded with a 1.12mm pitch thread.
    But 1.12mm is not a standard metric pitch.

8. Aug 6, 2016 #7
    It is a left-over from ancient computer programming practice. Back when data was entered by writing on paper than having it keypunched (are you old enough to know what a keypunch was?) and all alphabetic data was upper case, you needed some convention to distinguish O (letter) from 0 (zero) They look the same on paper, on the punch card, and on many printers. That goes back 50 years - I still do it out of habit.

9. Aug 7, 2016 #8

Svein

Science Advisor

... and to add to the confusion: Ø is a Norwegian/Danish character, (Oe ligature) equivalent to the Ö in German and Swedish.

10. Aug 7, 2016 #9
    this means a disc of diameter 15mm and thickness 1.12mm

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted