What does interference really mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the path-length difference between two waves arriving at a screen illuminated by two slits. It is mentioned that a dark line will appear if the difference is two wavelengths (false), 3/2 wavelengths (true), or 1/4 of a wavelength (true). It is also mentioned that a bright line will appear if the difference is half a wavelength (false) or three wavelengths (true). The person asking the question is unsure about their answer and seeks clarification on the concept of path difference for destructive and constructive interference.
sona1177

Homework Statement

At a particular point on a screen illuminated by two slits, the path length from that point to the bottom slit is greater than to the top slit. Which of the following statements are true about the path-length difference between the two waves arriving at the screen?

a dark line will appear if the difference in path lengths is two wavelengths FALSE
a dark line will appear if the difference in path lengths is 3/2 wavelengths TRUE
a bright line will appear if the difference in path lengths is half a wavelength FALSE
a bright line will appear if the difference in path lengths is three wavelengths TRUE
a dark line will appear if the difference in path lengths is 1/4 of a wavelength TRUE

Homework Equations

I am not getting the problem correct, so something is wrong here.

I thought for destructive interference, the path difference is an odd number of half wavelengths. And for constructive, the path difference is an integral multiple of wavelengths.

That's what I used to get my answers.

What have i done wrong?
thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The last answer is wrong. Is 1/4 of a wavelength is an integer multiple of the half-wavelength?

ehild

Thanks!

1. What is interference in science?

Interference in science refers to the phenomenon where two or more waves overlap and interact with each other, resulting in a change in the overall amplitude or intensity of the resulting wave.

2. What causes interference?

Interference is caused by the superposition of two or more waves, meaning that the waves are physically overlapping and their amplitudes are being added together.

3. How does interference affect light?

Interference affects light by causing changes in the intensity of the light. When two light waves interfere constructively, they add together and create a brighter light. When they interfere destructively, they cancel each other out and create a darker light.

4. Can interference occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, interference can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves such as radio waves and microwaves.

5. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude overlap and combine, resulting in a wave with a larger amplitude. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two waves of the same frequency and opposite amplitude overlap and cancel each other out, resulting in a wave with a smaller or zero amplitude.