1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it mean for a system to be 'Self-regulated'?

1. Jan 18, 2017 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, I am working on a 'daisy world' lab for an environmental systems class.
    I will share the lab link as it is free: http://www.gingerbooth.com/flash/daisyball/DaisyBall.html

Essentially, we focus on a very simplified world where the world is either barren soil or white daisies. The luminosity (solar radiation) is increased and white daisies start to populate the planet. This causes a major change in albedo, so we get less warming (negative feedback). Eventually the white daisies die due to too much heat and we level off.

One of my questions ask: Explain the details of the temperature curve of the world with daises, relative a barren world without. Is this system self-regulated?....

My question is, what does self-regulated mean here?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am initially predispositioned to answer "YES" as the system has the few variables, when the runaway heat occurs, the daisies die and the system continues on, self regulating itself. The concern I have is, is the solar lumionsity part of the system? Do we consider the "sun" part of the system of the Earth? If so, then yes, this is all self-regulating.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am not sure I understand the way you try to split the system. For me it consist of a constant environment (of which insolation is a part) and variable surface of the land covered by daisies.

4. Jan 19, 2017 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

I got the answer today in lab, simply put, @Borek you had the right idea towards helping me -- its about locality and not observing the entire system. I had to narrow my zone to understand it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted