Self-Organizing systems discussion 2:

In summary: The reason they believe it might be the smallest length possible is because it seems to be the only theory that can explain the universe's parameters [mass, energy, etc.] without relying on things like inflation or dark matter.
kirkulator
Hello, I was reading into self-organizing systems and I decided to post on a few curiosities that i stumbled over because members here know more about this topic than I do. So if any of you will, give me some insights. [I am an undergraduate math student]

I know a lot of findings within quantum theory are hinting that we were wrong about a few things, and that things operate a lot differently than we previously thought. It is now a frustrating process to mend the classical mechanics and special relativity to the new quantum world. I am wondering, could we just be experiencing emergent properties of an infinite amount of systems?

I mean, we are studying so many different dynamical and complex systems going from the subatomic to the universal; is it possible there is something we aren't noticing because we are individual components in this system and cannot see the emergent feature that we are part of? Or, maybe that the theories we have for the BIG are just emergent properties of the SMALL and that's why the properties and characteristics arent adding up? I know i may sound a little off base here, just getting a little philosophical haha.

Thanks!
Amanda

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is that even our theories of the small are already emergent. This is because our idea of small (at the scale of the LHC) is already way bigger than the Planck scale. This is reviewed by Weinberg in http://arxiv.org/abs/0908.1964

i forgot to clarify:
self-organizing systems are physical and biological systems in which pattern and structure at the global level arises solely from interactions among the lower-level components of the system. the systems components are executed using only local information, without reference to the global patterns.

an emergent property : ie: a molecule of water is not wet, wetness is an EMERGENT property of large quantities of water molecules.

atyy, can you please expand? our theories of the small are emergent because we are looking at the "small" on a larger scale [extra dimensions] than that of the plank scale? so our "small" are emergent?

It has nothing necessarily to do with extra dimensions. Basically, with higher and higher energies in collisions, one probes smaller and smaller length scales. The highest energies experimentally probed so far in accelerators are ~TeV, which are low compared to the Planck energy. Given the correspondence between energy and scale, this means our experiments only probe large length scales. So the standard model of particle physics, although capturing all the physics known to us at large length scales, may fail at even higher energies. We believe this is likely, even without experimental evidence of such a failure, because at least perturbatively, the standard model http://www.hep.lu.se/atlas/thesis/egede/thesis-node21.html at high energies. Thus the standard model is probably an emergent theory.

Last edited:
I think that our theories are emergent in this way, but there is not much point in trying to guess what those smaller systems are like in the absence of experiment. There are too many possibilities, and even if you did somehow guess then how would you know you were correct?

excellent excellent, thank you guys! and also, thanks for getting me started on looking at Planck energy and length. it led me to holographic theory and super symmetry theory, great stuff!

Now, if we can't get to Planck length expirementally [its so small], does this mean we can in no way verify string theory? Also, why do they say Planck length may be the smallest length possible? What led them to that conclusion?

kirkulator said:
Now, if we can't get to Planck length expirementally [its so small], does this mean we can in no way verify string theory?

That has been one of the big detractors of the theory, yes. It posits elements that are too small to test in any reasonable near future. And if it's not falsifiable, technically it's not a theory.

What is a self-organizing system?

A self-organizing system is a complex system that is able to spontaneously organize and adapt to its environment without external control or direction. It is able to do so through the interactions of its individual components, resulting in emergent behavior that is greater than the sum of its parts.

What examples of self-organizing systems exist in nature?

Some examples of self-organizing systems in nature include ant colonies, flocks of birds, and schools of fish. These systems exhibit emergent behavior, such as coordinated movement and decision-making, without a central leader or controller.

What are the benefits of self-organizing systems?

Self-organizing systems have several benefits, including adaptability, resilience, and efficiency. They are able to respond and adapt to changes in their environment, making them more resilient to disruptions. They also tend to be more efficient, as they do not require a central controller to make decisions.

What are the potential drawbacks of self-organizing systems?

One potential drawback of self-organizing systems is the lack of predictability. As they are constantly adapting and changing, it can be difficult to predict their behavior. This can make it challenging to control or influence the system. Additionally, self-organizing systems may also be susceptible to cascading failures if one component fails, causing a domino effect.

How can self-organizing systems be applied in technology and society?

Self-organizing systems have many potential applications in technology and society. They can be used in fields such as artificial intelligence, robotics, and swarm technology. In society, self-organizing systems can be applied in urban planning, transportation systems, and social networks. They can also help in disaster management and emergency response, as they are able to adapt and coordinate in chaotic situations without a central authority.