What does it mean when it says for long wavelengths?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the behavior of light incident on a metal surface for long wavelengths. The equations and solutions for this scenario are being discussed, including the parameter Delta and its relation to the wave number k. The conversation also touches on how the values of E and B would change if the surface was an insulator or semiconductor.
Nusc

Homework Statement

Light is incidence on a metal surface. For long wavelengths find E and B.

What does it mean when it says for long wavelengths?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it just means that the EM wave can be considered classically, i.e. no photoelectric effect type stuff. Just a guess though, your description is pretty sketchy.

I think you're right. Thanks

So when light is incident on an insulator or a semiconductor, what would happen?

In metals, the wave number [tex]k=k_0(1+i\Delta)^{1/2}[/tex].
Delta is a dimensionless parameter: [tex]\Delta=\frac{4\pi\sigma}{\epsilon\omega}[/tex]
in Gaussian units.
"Long wavelength", means small omega, so Delta>>1.
Then a wave in the metal is rapidly attenuated (in less than a wave length).

So section 9.4.1 in griffith is irrelevent?

Where can I find a derivation foryour k ?

Eq. (9.126) follows (in SI) from the equation I wrote. The algebra is a bit complicated.

What's k0?

What about kappa? from 9.126?

How would E and B change if this was an insulator or a semiconductor?

Nusc said:
What's k0?

What about kappa? from 9.126?
What I called k_0 is just what G has outside the square root.
It is the k yu would have if sigma=0.

Nusc said:
How would E and B change if this was an insulator or a semiconductor?
G give (9.126), but doesn't do much with it.
His [tex]\sigma/\epsilon\omega[/tex] is what I called [tex]\Delta[/tex].
For a good conductor, [tex]\Delta[/tex] is large and you can approximate the square root.
For a poor conductor, it is small and you make a different expansion.
With these expansions, you can do a lot.
Without them, you do what G does, which is draw a picture or give a problem.

1. What is a wavelength?

A wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. It is typically represented by the Greek letter lambda (λ) and is measured in meters.

2. How are wavelengths related to light?

Wavelengths are a characteristic property of light. Different wavelengths of light correspond to different colors, with shorter wavelengths appearing as blue or violet and longer wavelengths appearing as red or orange. The entire spectrum of visible light ranges from approximately 400 nanometers (nm) for violet light to 700 nm for red light.

3. What does it mean when a wavelength is described as "long"?

In general, a "long" wavelength refers to a wavelength that is longer than average. However, the specific definition of a long wavelength can vary depending on the context. For example, in radio waves, a long wavelength may refer to wavelengths in the range of thousands of meters, while in the visible light spectrum, a long wavelength may refer to wavelengths in the hundreds of nanometers.

4. How does wavelength affect the behavior of light?

The wavelength of light can affect how it behaves in different mediums. For example, shorter wavelengths are more easily scattered by particles in the air, which is why the sky appears blue. Longer wavelengths, such as infrared light, are less easily scattered and can pass through objects like glass without being absorbed.

5. Why is it important to understand wavelengths in science?

Understanding wavelengths is crucial in many areas of science, including optics, astronomy, and telecommunications. Wavelengths are used to describe and measure different types of radiation, such as light and radio waves, and can help scientists determine properties of objects, such as their temperature and composition.