What do people mean when they say the Universe is Computable

In summary, the conversation on r/AskPhysics on Reddit discussed the concept of computability in relation to the universe and physics. One person mentioned that Closed Timelike Curves are not computable, while another person compared the universe to a simulation. It is important to note that this discussion is not representative of reliable scientific sources on the topic.
TheQuestionGuy14
Hey. I was just wondering what people mean when they say physics and the universe is computable, I always thought it meant that the universe is measurable/calculable, but someone said to me that it meant the universe works like a computer/simulation. So, what does it actually mean?

Space news on Phys.org
You would need to quote your source of this statement, I'm afraid. PF doesn't encourage discussions based on casual chat. You would have to ask that "someone" what they meant.

sophiecentaur said:
You would need to quote your source of this statement, I'm afraid. PF doesn't encourage discussions based on casual chat. You would have to ask that "someone" what they meant.

It was on r/AskPhysics on reddit, they were talking about how Closed Timelike Curves aren't computable unlike the rest of physics and the universe, and I asked what exactly he meant and another person replied saying that the universe acts like a simulation.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
It was on r/AskPhysics on reddit, they were talking about how Closed Timelike Curves aren't computable unlike the rest of physics and the universe, and I asked what exactly he meant and another person replied saying that the universe acts like a simulation.
There really isn't enough there to start a proper conversation. The 'simulation' story always sounds to me like another conspiracy theory and that ain't PF material.
PS if you want to give a reference, it's normal to put a link in your post using the link symbol on the right of the T! symbol etc. etc.

If you don't understand what you're asking, how do you expect us to answer it?

Likes sophiecentaur
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
This is shaping up to be a good argument for not getting your physics from Reddit...
If you search arXiv for "closed timelike curve computability" you will find some more serious stuff; and the authors there will generally explain what they mean when they use terms that do not have generally acceted and widely known meanings.

Likes anorlunda

1. What does it mean for the universe to be computable?

When people say that the universe is computable, they are referring to the idea that all processes and phenomena in the universe can be described and understood through computational models and algorithms. In other words, the universe can be simulated and predicted using mathematical equations and computer programs.

2. How does this concept relate to the laws of physics?

The concept of the universe being computable is closely related to the laws of physics, as these laws are essentially a set of rules that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. These laws can be expressed and modeled using mathematical equations, making them computable.

3. Is there evidence to support the idea that the universe is computable?

While there is no definitive evidence to prove that the universe is computable, many scientists and mathematicians believe that the success of using computational models to describe and predict natural phenomena is a strong indication that the universe is indeed computable.

4. Are there any limitations to this idea?

One limitation of the idea that the universe is computable is that it assumes a deterministic view of the universe, where everything can be predicted with absolute certainty. However, some phenomena, such as quantum mechanics, suggest that there may be inherent unpredictability in the universe.

5. How does this concept impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of the universe being computable has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that the universe is ultimately a logical and predictable system, and that we may one day be able to fully understand and control it using computational methods.