What do people mean when they say the Universe is Computable

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
TheQuestionGuy14
Messages
158
Reaction score
8
Hey. I was just wondering what people mean when they say physics and the universe is computable, I always thought it meant that the universe is measurable/calculable, but someone said to me that it meant the universe works like a computer/simulation. So, what does it actually mean?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
You would need to quote your source of this statement, I'm afraid. PF doesn't encourage discussions based on casual chat. You would have to ask that "someone" what they meant.
 
sophiecentaur said:
You would need to quote your source of this statement, I'm afraid. PF doesn't encourage discussions based on casual chat. You would have to ask that "someone" what they meant.

It was on r/AskPhysics on reddit, they were talking about how Closed Timelike Curves aren't computable unlike the rest of physics and the universe, and I asked what exactly he meant and another person replied saying that the universe acts like a simulation.
 
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
It was on r/AskPhysics on reddit, they were talking about how Closed Timelike Curves aren't computable unlike the rest of physics and the universe, and I asked what exactly he meant and another person replied saying that the universe acts like a simulation.
There really isn't enough there to start a proper conversation. The 'simulation' story always sounds to me like another conspiracy theory and that ain't PF material.
PS if you want to give a reference, it's normal to put a link in your post using the link symbol on the right of the T! symbol etc. etc.
 
If you don't understand what you're asking, how do you expect us to answer it?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
It was on r/AskPhysics on reddit, they were talking about how Closed Timelike Curves aren't computable unlike the rest of physics and the universe, and I asked what exactly he meant and another person replied saying that the universe acts like a simulation.
This is shaping up to be a good argument for not getting your physics from Reddit...
If you search arXiv for "closed timelike curve computability" you will find some more serious stuff; and the authors there will generally explain what they mean when they use terms that do not have generally acceted and widely known meanings.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: anorlunda