What does "not suitable" mean? [for a mathematics journal]

In summary: The only resource in this matter that I had and still do is the journal's webpage. I've read through the publication guide and the criteria, and I thought that my paper was in line with them. However, I now suspect that my paper was not good enough in terms of the criteria of "importance and impact" for that journal, as mentioned by @Medicol. In summary, the conversation reveals that a 16-year-old submitted a paper on a Diophantine equation to a prestigious journal, but it was rejected due to not meeting the journal's criteria of "importance and impact." The individual is seeking advice on how to improve their paper and find collaborators to help with the publishing process.
the_m-theorist
Sigh. A couple of days ago my first paper got rejected. The editors claimed that " the experts we consulted felt that the paper is not suitable for the journal". A few days later I wrote them back requesting them to elaborate on where my paper had failed to meet their expectations and that any advice they gave would be very helpful to me. They replied that "the expert consulted did not have any comments on your paper other than that it was not suitable for the journal."

Likes Medicol
Physics news on Phys.org
It's an incomplete polite excuse to not be in charge of your, likely, excellent paper. Clearly there is no bidirectional communication.
Did you try sending it to somewhere else ?

Did you show the paper to someone else in your field - a colleague perhaps?
I'm with Medicol - but I'd add: recheck the publication guide and criteria for the journal.
A more experienced colleague will be able to advise you which other journals to try.

I'm not sure if either of you guessed that I'm quite young, but I just turned 16, so as far as colleagues in my field are concerned I have none at the moment. @Medicol that's encouraging and I'm going to try sending my paper to another journal soon, but what does "not suitable" mean, does it mean that the quality of the work done is not good enough for the journal or something?? cause the one I sent it to was one of the most reputed ones, I obviously thought that given that they support short papers and considering my age they'd accept, but they didn't.

Well, I suspected that you were inexperienced and working alone but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.
Which journals and what was the subject of the paper?
Do you have specific reason to expect that the publishers would favor papers by someone so young?

From what you have now revealed, I suspect that the paper was simply not up to scratch. Possibly your writing showed your age and experience.

Science is a collaborative process - papers, particularly to the better journals, typically undergo a departmental review to make sure they are up to scratch. I've known profs who put papers on their doors so others can scribble comments and corrections in the margins before submitting to a publisher. It is unlikely that you will be able to produce something publishable working by yourself.

If you are that young, and if I am correct in assuming that you do not have a lot of experience in publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals, then the term "not suitable" is often a polite way of journals editors saying that your submission is either nonsensical (they get a lot of crackpottery being submitted to them each day), is of the wrong topic for that journal, or does not satisfy the criteria of "importance and impact" for that journal, etc.

Please note that for prestigious journals such as Science, Nature, and PRL, the work must not only be interesting, but it must also be important and have a wide-ranging impact, not just within that narrow area of research. To have a feel to know which journal a particular work is appropriate for takes YEARS of experience. You simply can't send something blindly to some journal and expect to be taken seriously. Also note that each journals may have a very strict format and style. PRL, for example, has a strict 4-page limit, etc. You are also evaluated on your presentation (i.e. is it clear enough, it is presented in an understandable manner, etc.) beyond just the actual content. Any of these could disqualify you from being considered.

So how much knowledge about the journal you submitted to and its requirement do you have?

Zz.

Many thanks to everyone whose replied so far and tried to help me!
Simon Bridge said:
Which journals and what was the subject of the paper?
The subject of the paper was a Diophantine equation in number theory that hadn't been solved before. (i.e. I claim to have solved it.)
If I reveal the name of the journal would that dis-repute them?
Simon Bridge said:
Do you have specific reason to expect that the publishers would favor papers by someone so young?
Unfortunately, no. It was kind of a leap of faith, and I was thinking that they would encourage budding mathematicians but perhaps that's no reason for them to accept papers that they feel are not good enough for their journal. But the equation in consideration has been open for more than a 130 years.
Simon Bridge said:
From what you have now revealed, I suspect that the paper was simply not up to scratch. Possibly your writing showed your age and experience.

Science is a collaborative process - papers, particularly to the better journals, typically undergo a departmental review to make sure they are up to scratch. I've known profs who put papers on their doors so others can scribble comments and corrections in the margins before submitting to a publisher. It is unlikely that you will be able to produce something publishable working by yourself.
What do you suggest I now do? My high school teachers are no good and I have no contacts at the local university. Perhaps you or someone else here would like to take the honor?
ZapperZ said:
If you are that young, and if I am correct in assuming that you do not have a lot of experience in publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals, then the term "not suitable" is often a polite way of journals editors saying that your submission is either nonsensical (they get a lot of crackpottery being submitted to them each day), is of the wrong topic for that journal, or does not satisfy the criteria of "importance and impact" for that journal, etc.
Thanks for this!
ZapperZ said:
PRL, for example, has a strict 4-page limit, etc
Yes, I checked that beforehand. In order to be qualified as a short paper, it needs to be below 20 pages.
ZapperZ said:
So how much knowledge about the journal you submitted to and its requirement do you have?
The only resource in this matter that I had and still do is the journal's website and the wiki page for the journal. So I know that they the subject of my paper is relevant to the journal and that the journal is one of the most prestigious ones in the world, so they only accept the best stuff.

the_m-theorist said:
What do you suggest I now do? My high school teachers are no good and I have no contacts at the local university. Perhaps you or someone else here would like to take the honor?

Surely you have some people you discuss your research with? If you're a lone wolf it is quite possible you have huge holes in your knowledge of which you are unaware.

When I submit a paper it has typically be read and ripped to utter shreads by three or four Ph.Ds. The paper ends up being far, far, better for it. There really is nothing better than peer review for clarifying your thinking and expression.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I reveal the name of the journal would that dis-repute them?
No. But it would provide us the appropriate context for your experience. Everybody gets turned down. Nobody is suggesting the editors did anything wrong by turning you down.

I was thinking that they would encourage budding mathematicians but perhaps that's no reason for them to accept papers that they feel are not good enough for their journal.
That is correct - journals do not exist to encourage newcomers.
Most journals publish some sort of mission statement.

But the equation in consideration has been open for more than a 130 years.
... coo: which one were you working on?

Remember - if the solution has eluded mathematicians much more experienced than you for over a century, then it is a hard problem.
What have you done that nobody else has tried?

What do you suggest I now do? My high school teachers are no good and I have no contacts at the local university.
... you need to find someone to work with. Make contacts with the local university for instance.

Perhaps you or someone else here would like to take the honor?
How many pages is this paper?

You could try posting the general approach as a question in a math forum here... write out the equation and conjecture you intend to tackle, then a brief overview of your approach. "Leads to the following solution..." show the solution.
Your question would be something like "what have I missed?"

But make sure you are familiar with the rules first.

analogdesign said:
Surely you have some people you discuss your research with? If you're a lone wolf it is quite possible you have huge holes in your knowledge of which you are unaware.
At the moment, no, I am a lone wolf, but I am trying to change that. What you say is quite possible, and that is precisely why I am seeking help here. However I still insist that my paper is relevant because it doesn't really require too many prerequisites and I've gone through it over and over again many times (once after a long break too.)
Simon Bridge said:
... coo: which one were you working on?

Remember - if the solution has eluded mathematicians much more experienced than you for over a century, then it is a hard problem.
What have you done that nobody else has tried?
Brocard's problem. I think what was radically different in my approach was that I split the problem into several cases and dealt with those cases separately. At the end in fact I was able to show that Erdos's conjecture regarding the problem that only 3 brown numbers exist is in fact true. The journal I submitted to was the Annals Of Mathematics. Perhaps I feel a little ashamed too, to admit my naivety.
Simon Bridge said:
... you need to find someone to work with. Make contacts with the local university for instance.
I will definitely try to do this.
Simon Bridge said:
How many pages is this paper?
5 pages long. So would you like to review it

Last edited:
I think what was radically different in my approach was that I split the problem into several cases and dealt with those cases separately.
Everybody does that though.

[quote]5 pages long. So would you like to review it[/quote]
I'm pretty useless at this sort of thing. Have you seen:
http://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/handle/10289/7565

Have you been reading this journal regularly? If not, how do you know that this paper is suitable - that it's the sort of thing this journal prints? Besides that, the scientific literature is a dialog: wanting to publish without reading is like wanting to talk without listening. And it's about as popular.

Did you tell the journal you were 16? If not, it's not really fair to complain they are not supportive. If so, why did you do that? If your proof is valid, does your age matter? If your proof is invalid, do you think the journal should publish it anyway because you're young?

Vanadium 50 said:
Have you been reading this journal regularly? If not, how do you know that this paper is suitable - that it's the sort of thing this journal prints?
I do not have access to the journal therefore I am not a regular reader, but the Annals are famous for publishing stuff related to number theory. I can give no better example than that of Andrew Wiles paper on Fermat's Last Theorem (which is a diophantine equation.)

Vanadium 50 said:
Did you tell the journal you were 16?
Yes. (From the beginning.)
Vanadium 50 said:
If your proof is valid, does your age matter?
I thought it did but Simon cleared me up on this.
Vanadium 50 said:
If your proof is invalid, do you think the journal should publish it anyway because you're young?
I would never support such ideology. Please do not misunderstand my inexperience for lack of character and wrong motivation. The proof is valid, I can send it to you if you like.

Simon Bridge said:
Everybody does that though.
Laughs. I knew you would reply something like that. 8 separate cases, I don't think I've seen that before, besides it's the classification scheme that really matters.

Simon Bridge said:
Yep, long time ago.

Journal is Annals of Mathematics then - don't know why you wouldn't want to say.
Honestly - everyone breaks a problem into different cases and hopes they have not left some important case out. Naturally the devil is in the details: you are saying you've used a set of cases, or used them in a certain way, that nobody else has thought of before in over a century? Then that's begging the original question: what is it that you have done that nobody else has tried before?

The only way to be sure of that is to use a method (a) you have invented, or (b) that has been discovered very recently.
Example - the proof of Fermat's last theorem you cited used techniques that were very new at the time and unavailable to Fermat.
You done something like that?

Considering the response you got off the journal - is it possible that the peer-reviewer saw something that you missed?
Anyway - I think you have the answer to your question: rightly or wrongly your paper failed peer review: it happens.
To move on - get support. Someone knowledgeable who can sit down and read your paper and make suggestions.
I know - it's hard.

This paper almost certainly did not go out for peer review. If it had, there would be a report. The expert is almost certainly the associate editor whose job it is to find referees, and this message means that he or she feels it's not worth wasting the referee's time.

ZapperZ's comments are spot on. The editor was able to tell immediately that this was not suitable. Maybe there is an obvious error. Maybe the argument is impenetrable. Maybe it's obvious that the author is unfamiliar with the literature or he journal's style and procedures.

The only way I can convince you people that the paper does not have elementary mistakes is that you go through it. I would happily upload it here only I'm concerned that there is a possibility that someone might steal it?

Vanadium 50 said:
This paper almost certainly did not go out for peer review. If it had, there would be a report. The expert is almost certainly the associate editor whose job it is to find referees, and this message means that he or she feels it's not worth wasting the referee's time.
I suspected something similar given that I got the rejectance letter 10 days later. (which is I believe short even for a short paper.)

Simon Bridge said:
To move on - get support. Someone knowledgeable who can sit down and read your paper and make suggestions.
I know - it's hard.
Do you think mathwonk might be interested in this. (after all he seems to be the only regularly posting mathematician left on PF, hurkyl's been inactive for over a year now and matt grime even more than that.) Meanwhile there's an update guys. I just found out that my father has a friend who seems to know a professor at the university reasonably well and he's promised my dad to take me to him soon. Well we'll see how things go. Anyway I'll keep this thread updated through the developments.

I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to post a proof here for it to be critiqued.

Rocket50 said:
I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to post a proof here for it to be critiqued.

And I am pretty sure you're not.

PF Rules said:
If you have a new theory or idea, this is not the place to look for feedback on it or help in developing it..

the_m-theorist said:
The only way I can convince you people that the paper does not have elementary mistakes is that you go through it.

That's not what you said your intent was. You asked what "not suitable" meant. I think that has been asked and answered. If you want to delve into the issue of whether this proof of yours is valid or not, I urge you to reread the PF Rules. Especially the part I quoted.

the_m-theorist said:
I would happily upload it here only I'm concerned that there is a possibility that someone might steal it?

Do you think important mathematicians spend their time searching the internet for alleged proofs from teenagers that they can steal?

Vanadium 50 said:
Do you think important mathematicians spend their time searching the internet for alleged proofs from teenagers that they can steal?
It doesn't really have to be an important mathematician or a mathematician at all. Once the proof is given he/she could easily try to publish it under their name in some other journal.

Thank you for all your help so far!
Vanadium 50 said:
And I am pretty sure you're not.
In which case I'll be looking forward to that meeting.
P.S. what do you mean "argument is impenetrable"? Any help is always appreciated!

the_m-theorist said:
what do you mean "argument is impenetrable"

That would be an argument that is presented in a way to make it impossible to understand.

the_m-theorist said:
You're not going to like this: Your best bet at this point would be to set the paper aside and forget about it for five years while earning a degree in math. If it has been an open problem for 130 years, it'll keep until you have the necessary knowledge/experience to tackle it properly.

Alternately, if you do find someone suitable to comment on it who is willing to, accept their critique. But I recommend the first path to the second because it will be less bruising to your ego.

russ_watters said:
it'll keep until you have the necessary knowledge/experience to tackle it properly.
Please, I seek your advice on the matter, not your opinion of my knowledge and expertise or my paper which is obviously wrong given that you do not know me. But assuming beforehand that I am one of those stupid kids who thinks he is on the forefront of math after reading some fancy novel is wrong. How can you say I do not have the necessary knowledge or expertise to tackle it?. You are directly implying that my proof is wrong. (a discussion of which PF does not support I believe.)
russ_watters said:
Alternately, if you do find someone suitable to comment on it who is willing to, accept their critique. But I recommend the first path to the second because it will be less bruising to your ego.
I have said this before, I will say this again, do not misunderstand my inexperience to be lack of character, such behavior on my part would not be in the spirit of mathematics. If someone points out to me a mathematical error in my proof, than there no question of ego what is wrong is wrong and everyone makes mistakes. But if this happens I would not be sad or have my ego bruised. On the contrary I would be even more excited learning that the problem is still open and would probably make more efforts in trying to solve it. But someone saying that it is outright wrong just because I am young is I think ridiculous. (But I suppose it is only natural for you to not take me seriously.)

the_m-theorist said:
But someone saying that it is outright wrong just because I am young is I think ridiculous. (But I suppose it is only natural for you to not take me seriously.)
It's actually not ridiculous, and it's not so much that you are young but that you're inexperienced. The truth is there are tons of people like you who think they discovered a solution to a long-standing problem, and virtually all of them are wrong. Professors routinely refuse to hear these people out because to do so would be an incredible waste of time. The alleged breakthroughs are commonly based on fundamental misconceptions, faulty logic, and a lack of critical thinking. The people make these mistakes simply because they don't have the proper background and knowledge.

Now is it possible that you're the exception who has managed to make a bona fide breakthrough? Sure, but it's extremely unlikely. On the other hand, it's a virtual certainty that you've made mistakes based on your lack of experience. (The way your paper was rejected as "not suitable" suggests this is indeed the case.) As others have noted, very smart people have thought long and hard about the same problem. Do you really think that you've managed to discover something new that they all overlooked?

Russ isn't trying to insult you; he's giving you good advice based on the odds. Acquire the proper background and knowledge so you can fashion a proper argument and competently critique it on your own.

vela said:
Professors routinely refuse to hear these people out because to do so would be an incredible waste of time.
I've had a prof who would hand such things off to grad students with a scribbled note asking, "do I need to read this?" The student was to get back to him with a yes or no. In the 5 years I knew him, Occasionally he would hand off actual meritorious papers to see if people were paying attention, and sometimes ask for a summary of "why not" - all part of training the grad students.

In 5 years I only know of one paper from the public that got through that way - which lead to an attempt to get the author into a PhD program.
IIRC that author was a retired engineer who had taken to science after a lifetime in the field.

OTOH: Feynman was famous for responding to the various unsolicited letters he got. i.e.
In another instance, a [submission] claimed to have discovered a new source of energy, exhibited by the apparently unmotivated spinning of a washer when suspended by a thread. Feynman experimented with washers and threads before replying, observed the effect in question, admitted to surprise at its strength, did the calculations—which nevertheless suggested an utterly conventional if counterintuitive explanation (lengthening threads and unnoticed hand motions)—and wrote back suggesting further experiments. [1]​

the_m-theorist said:
Please, I seek your advice on the matter, not your opinion of my knowledge and expertise..
I want you to realize that what Russ wrote is very mild compared to how academics treat each other. Not only was he not insulting you, he was being nice to you.

Russ only followed from the information you supplied - which was sufficient, with his own experience with journals and research, to draw the conclusions he did.

You clearly lack knowledge associated with getting a paper published and what the response you got means, or whence the question? You have, yourself, conceded your inexperience in earlier posts. So Russ was correct to say you need knowledge and experience - those are not his opinions, they are reasonable summaries of what you have said.

He drew on his experience with publications to advise you on how best to go about getting that knowledge, and what sort of knowledge to concentrate on. This does not need Russ to know any more about you or your character than what you have already supplied. I don't think anyone here is going to give you any different advise. Unless you want to be more forthcoming, I think you have got all you are going to get.

[1] Feynman M. (Ed), 2005. Perfectly Reasonable Deviations from the Beaten Track: The Letters of Richard P. Feynman.
Retreived from: http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pub/sincerely-richard-p-feynman

But Russ did give you advice. And he didn't mention your age.

I think being 16 may have something to do with your rejection, but its not like they just skipped your paper because of your age. They probably should have clarified why they rejected it. Maybe you should discuss this your any acquaintances you have working at a university. They might be able to give you more specific advice.

If there has been any misunderstanding on my part, then I am very, very, VERY sorry Russ.

vela said:
Now is it possible that you're the exception who has managed to make a bona fide breakthrough?
I wouldn't call it that even if I manage to publish it. It's just a problem, I tried to solve it and one of my attempts was clever enough to get through it.
Just because it's been open for more than a hundred years does not mean many people have heard about it (right?), I'll bet no one who read this thread knew about brocard's problem before I mentioned it.

the_m-theorist said:
I wouldn't call it that even if I manage to publish it. It's just a problem, I tried to solve it and one of my attempts was clever enough to get through it.
Just because it's been open for more than a hundred years does not mean many people have heard about it (right?), I'll bet no one who read this thread knew about brocard's problem before I mentioned it.

Sorry, but your claim that you got "through" with it is still unverifiable. After all, the journal rejected it as being "unsuitable".

Unless you are able to find someone who is an expert in that area to seriously evaluate your work, you are up the creek. That's the sad fact. You asked for advice, and you got it in spades. So it is now time to stop complaining about it and do something, or give it up.

Zz.

Simon Bridge said:
I want you to realize that what Russ wrote is very mild compared to how academics treat each other. Not only was he not insulting you, he was being nice to you.
WOW! Academics is turning out to be much more rougher than I had originally anticipated!
UPDATE:- So I met the professor, this was a man whom I have already met twice before. The first time I had met him among other things we talked about, I explained to him the cauchy riemann equations, this was when I was in the 9th grade, all through the entire talk he gave me loads of references that he recommended I read and at the end he told my dad that he was proud to meet me. When I met him this time he told me that he could review the paper for me but he also recommended that I try to make contact with this other professor who according to him would definitely encourage me and is one of the foremost experts on the topic in the country. So folks, phase 1 in progress and I'm trying to make contact with the other man too.