1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does per second per second mean?

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    thrust is the ability to move a 1 pound object at 32 feet per second per second. What does per second per second mean? Does that mean for every second, the object has moved 64 feet in a given direction?

if air molecules are moved at 3200 feet per second per second to deliver 100 pounds of thrust, does that mean what ever device is producing the thrust(gas turbine engine) is moving the exhaust(air molecules) at 3200 feet per second per second? Thats a little over half a mile those air molecules are thrown if that is true.

Thanx

Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Thrust

32 feet per second per second means that after 1 second the object is traveling at a speed of 32 feet per second. After 2 seconds it is traveling at 64 feet per second. Etc.

4. Sep 12, 2010 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

"distance per second per second" is a reference to acceleration, the change in speed per unit of time. It might be easier to understand if the units are changed, 1 g of acceleration means an increase in speed by about 21.9 mph every second.

5. Sep 12, 2010 #4

So at 3 seconds it is going 128 feet per second and then at 4 seconds its 256 feet per second? Or is it just a constant 32 feet per second. So at 3 seconds it has traveled 96 feet and at 4 seconds, 124 feet?

thanx

6. Sep 12, 2010 #5

No, the distance traveled is a separate calculation.

After 3 seconds the speed is 96 feet per second and after 4 seconds it's 128 feet per second.

7. Sep 12, 2010 #6

From the information given there is no way to know how fast the molecules are moving, only that a specific amount of thrust is being produced.

8. Sep 12, 2010 #7

russ_watters

The speed after 3 seconds is 96 feet per second. The total distance is 144 feet.

Speed is acceleration times time.

Distance is average speed times time. With constant acceleration, the average speed is the final speed divided by two.

9. Sep 13, 2010 #8

To me thats a contridictiction because 96 FEET per second is distance. feet is a measure of distance so how can the speed be 96 FEET per second but after 3 seconds, its 144 FEET.

thanx

10. Sep 13, 2010 #9

No, 96 feet per second is a speed. If the speed is constant, the object covers 96 feet every second.

Since the object is accelerating, the speed that it is traveling and and therefore the distance that it covers each second is changing. That's why the average speed needs to be figured in.

Example: the object starts from zero and accelerates to 32 feet per second in one second. You take the initial speed and the final speed during that second, add them together and divide by two to get the average, then multiply by the time, one second. The average speed was 16 ft/sec so during the first second the object traveled 16 feet. If the object then stays at that speed, it travels 32 feet every second thereafter.

Whenever an object is accelerating, you have to take the average speed times the amount of time accelerating to find the distance traveled during that time. If the object accelerates from zero at 32 feet per second, every second (32 ft/sec^2) for 3 seconds, it will be at 96 feet per second in speed but will only have traveled half the distance that it would if it was at that speed from the beginning. That's because the average speed during that time is 48 ft/sec. 48 feet times 3 is 144 feet.

Now, if the object stops accelerating after three seconds and stays at 96 ft/sec for the next three seconds, it will cover 288 feet. That's because its average speed during the final three seconds is 96 ft/sec.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  11. Sep 13, 2010 #10

Hmm, so since it takes a certain amount of time to go from 0 to 32 feet per second, thats why you add them together then divide by two? I dont get how an object traveling at 96 feet per second can only cover half that distance. its not the problem with the math, its the theory of why. To me, if it is moving at 96 feet per second then it has traveled the same distance. IE, i am traveling at 96MPH, how many miles is that in one hour, its 96.

I know im complicated but i need to understand this. This is my first year as a ME student and have not taken ANY physics classes except an intro.

thanx

12. Sep 13, 2010 #11

russ_watters

The object isn't traveling at 96 feet per second for the entire three seconds. In fact, it is only traveling at 96 feet per second at the last instant of the 3 seconds.

If you're traveling at 96 mph for one hour, at a constant speed, you'll travel 96 miles. But then your acceleration is 0. Acceleration is what it's called when your speed is changing.

In the example already given, the speed is 32 fps after 1 second and 64 fps after 2 seconds, so clearly it isn't moving at 96 fps for the entire 3 seconds.

13. Sep 13, 2010 #12

If you travel at 96 mph for 30 minutes then stop for the rest of the hour, how far did you travel? What was your average speed?

14. Sep 13, 2010 #13

haha. i set myself up for this one.

ok. so since it took 3 seconds get up to 96 fps, its not a constant is what your gettin to. ok thats cool. So if an object is moving at a constant 32fps, it will travel a distance of 32 feet every second because its acceleration 0. But if its acceleration is 32fps, then every second, the speed is increased by 32 fps. Acceleration is not the same is "how fast are you going" like i and 50 million other people think of it. IE, when i ask someone how fast we are going in the car, they say 175mph. (mustang GT supercharged 775HP at the wheels)

thanx

matt

15. Sep 13, 2010 #14

Sounds like you're on the right track now (pun intended!).

Be very careful with definitions in physics; I see you've already discovered that "common" meanings don't always translate well!

16. Sep 13, 2010 #15

OMG, that is so true. im going to have to print this thread out so i have it in my notes for reference.

Hopefully in a year, i will have a better understanding of how it all works.

thanx guys.

Ok so back to thrust. If a 747 from 1970 produces 56,000 lbs of thrust, this means that it(747) is being accelerated at 1,792,000 fps? since 1 lb of thrust is 32fps. Is my thinking correct?

OR is it wrong because i have not included the weight of the plane which is 90,000lbs which is 63% of the thrust. IE 56000 is 63% of 90000

thanx

17. Sep 13, 2010 #16

Back to definitions:
    "Thrust is the ability to accelerate a 1 pound object at 32 feet per second per second." How thrust are we talking about? 1 pound of thrust. So 1 pound of thrust can accelerate a 1 pound object at 32ft/sec^2. How fast will it accelerate 2 pounds?

In other words, your second thought is correct, you have to divide the thrust (force) by the weight (mass) in order to get the acceleration. 63% of 32 ft/sec^2 is 20.2 ft/sec^2. You'll soon find that the equation F=MA (and its variations) is your friend! The equation/variation you're using here is F/M=A.

Incidentally (or not!), a Mustang GT with that much power should also be able to accelerate at .63 gs at 96 mph!

18. Sep 13, 2010 #17

So a two pound object accelerated at 1 lb of thrust or 2 lbs of thrust? if it is 1 lb of thrust, then it would be 16fps, however, if it is 2lbs of thrust accelerating a two lb object, it would be 64fps. wait... maybe still 32fps because the weight/thrust ratio has not changed. its still a 1:1 ratio. if it was 2 lbs of thrust on a 1lb object, then it would be 64fps.

19. Sep 13, 2010 #18

Bingo!

20. Sep 14, 2010 #19

ok, here is a question that might help me understnad it better.

If i were moving at a constant 32fps,or 0 acceleration, it would take me 165 seconds to travel 5280 feet(1 mile)

What if my acceleration was 32 fps and not 0, how long would it take me to go 5280?

Ok next part. 56,000lbs of thrust is how many fps? if 2lbs of thrust on a 1 lb object is 64 fps, whats the formula to find 56,000lbs on a 1lb object? is it 56,000 multiplied by 32 which is like 1.7 million. if thats correct then you would divide by 90,000 to get fps for a 747?

is my logic correct

thanx guys

21. Sep 14, 2010 #20

To answer your second question first, yes, you can do it that way and you get the right answer. I find it easier to divide the thrust by the weight first, then multiply by the acceleration.

To answer your first question, if you were accelerating from zero at a constant rate of 32 ft/sec^2, how much time would it take to go 5280 feet: for this, use the equation d = 1/2 at^2 where
    d = distance
    a = acceleration
    t = time in seconds

You know two of the three variables, so you can solve for the third. You want to isolate t so you rearrange the equation:

t = sqrt(2d/a) or the time is the square root of two times the distance divided by the acceleration rate
    t = sqrt(2 x 5280/32)
    t = sqrt 330
    t = 18.16 seconds

Now that you know how long it took, you can figure out how fast you were going at the end of the mile.

18.16 seconds x 32ft/sec^2 = 581 ft/second = 396.3 mph.

You'll need a lot more than 775 hp to do that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook