What Does Redshift and Scale Factor Tell Us About the Size of the Universe?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Messages
2,163
Reaction score
191
We can define the relationship between ##z## and ##a(t_e)## as,

$$1+z=\frac {a(t_0)=1} {a(t_e)}$$

When we assume ##z=2##, it means that ##a(t_e)=\frac {1} {3}##

Is this means that universe was ##\frac {1} {3}## times smaller then now ?

If its the case then let's suppose ##z=6## which means universe was ##\frac {1} {7}## times smaller, but even in this case it doesn't seem a huge difference between ##z=2## and ##z=6##. But I think there should be a lot of difference.

I am not sure what am I missing.

Thanks
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Orodruin said:
Why?
The largest value of z can be 10 and it that case universe was 1 billion years old maybe more young like a 500 million years old. I am not sure but in any case.

Lets suppose ##z=10##, in that time let's suppose radius of OU is ##r## and now its ##11r##?
Cause I was espanding like ##10^10## difference cause universe was so young those times.

For a current scale of the OU is 45 billion light year. 11 times smaller means 4 billion light year. But I was expanding like a million light year or maybe less If I think the time scale which it grow 11 times bigger in 13 billion years ?

I am not sure how can I explain it.
 
Arman777 said:
The largest value of z can be 10
The CMBR is z = 1089. There is no upper limit for z.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Arman777
Arman777 said:
The largest value of z can be 10
Why do you think that z cannot be larger than 10? It is false. The redshift at the last scattering surface is about 1000.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Arman777
They are studying galaxies. It took some time for galaxies to evolve and you will not find galaxies with a redshift of z = 1000. This does not mean that redshifts larger than 10 does not exist.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Arman777