What does "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" mean?

In summary: In this particular problem, x1 is the voltage due to V1 acting alone and x2 is the voltage due to V2 acting alone.
LongApple

Homework Statement

upload_2015-1-19_17-33-18.png

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

My first guess is the quote in the title of this thread meant the a1 except now a1 * v3 instead of a1 in the below image, which we already have from a previous problem. I think my interpretation may be wrong

upload_2015-1-19_17-31-57.png

I think that my interpretation may be wrong. I try to solvee for a1 and get 0.21. So I thought x1= a1 * v3 = 0.21 * v3

but v3 is not about 2 Volts so I have made a mistake

upload_2015-1-19_17-32-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-19_17-31-21.png
    upload_2015-1-19_17-31-21.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
LongApple said:
I thought x1= a1 * v3
No. "V1 acting alone" means x1 is the value v3 would have if v2 were 0.

LongApple said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 77960

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

My first guess is the quote in the title of this thread meant the a1 except now a1 * v3 instead of a1 in the below image, which we already have from a previous problem. I think my interpretation may be wrong

View attachment 77958

I think that my interpretation may be wrong. I try to solvee for a1 and get 0.21. So I thought x1= a1 * v3 = 0.21 * v3

but v3 is not about 2 Volts so I have made a mistake

View attachment 77959

As you apply the typical loop rule sum, you can treat V3 as a sum of I1 * R3 and I2 * R3 ,
where the rest of the loop voltages come from V2 - I2 * R2 , or else V1 - I1 * R1 .
that treats the node almost like a switch, choosing the left branch or the right branch.

Here, they want one Voltage source, or the other ... that is,
if you short out V2 (=0), so that V1 supplies R1 in series with R3 || R2 ;
this would make the voltage across the parallel pair = V1 (R2||R3)/(R1+(R2||R3))
... so I agree that , a1=0.211
if you short out V1 , then V2 supplies R2 in series with R3 || R1,
this would make V3 = 0.493 V2 ... so in the end, V3 = 4.366 Volt

The phrase you should be querying is "the voltage x1 due to V1 acting alone."

It means the voltage of interest is the sum of a number of independent components. One component we shall call x1 and another component shall be called x2. These can be calculated separately, then added to find the actual voltage of interest.

, can you help me

It appears that the content is discussing the concept of voltage in a circuit. Specifically, it is referring to the sum of voltage x1, which is a voltage value that is influenced by v1. This could potentially mean that v1 is a source of voltage in the circuit, and x1 is a voltage value that is affected by v1. This could be due to a series or parallel circuit configuration, or any other factors that may affect the flow of electricity in the circuit. The equation V=IR is a fundamental relationship in circuits, where V represents voltage, I represents current, and R represents resistance. This equation can be used to calculate the voltage value x1 if the current and resistance values are known.

1. What is the meaning of "sum of voltage x1 due to v1"?

The "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" refers to the total amount of voltage generated by a specific source, v1, at a given point, x1. In other words, it is the sum of all the voltages produced by that particular source at that particular point.

2. How is the "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" calculated?

The "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" is calculated by adding up all the individual voltage values produced by the source, v1, at the point x1. This can be done by using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance.

3. What is the significance of the "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" in electrical circuits?

The "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" is an important concept in electrical circuits because it helps to determine the total voltage at a given point, which is crucial for understanding the behavior and functioning of the circuit. It also allows us to calculate the power and energy consumption of the circuit.

4. Can the "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" be negative?

Yes, the "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" can be negative. This occurs when the voltage values of the sources at a particular point have opposite polarities. In this case, the negative voltage value indicates that the sources are working against each other, resulting in a decrease in the overall voltage at that point.

5. How does the "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" affect the overall voltage of a circuit?

The "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" directly affects the overall voltage of a circuit. The total voltage at a given point is the sum of all the individual voltage values due to different sources. Therefore, any changes in the "sum of voltage x1 due to v1" will result in a change in the overall voltage of the circuit at that point.