What does the graph of a^(x^x) look like and what are its applications?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter 2^Oscar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Applications Graph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
2^Oscar
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,

I was wondering about what a graph would look like where the power to a did not increase at a linear rate i.e

a^(x^x)

Is there such a recognised function as this? If so does it have any practical applications and what does the graph look like?

Thanks,

Oscar
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org


Hey 2Oscar! :smile:
2^Oscar said:
I was wondering about what a graph would look like where the power to a did not increase at a linear rate i.e

a^(x^x)

Is there such a recognised function as this? If so does it have any practical applications and what does the graph look like?

Never seen anything like it!

I'd be very surprised if it does have any practical applications.

Its graph would be like ax, only very much steeper. :smile:

Why don't you try working out its derivative? :wink:​
 


I'm unsure on how to differentiate a^x tbh... but i think i can do it for e^x...

so y= e^(x^x)

dy/dx = x2e^(x^x)?


My graphical calculator goes weird when i try to draw it lol... but i can see why it would be like a normal exponential graph just steeper.

Thanks,

Oscar
 
2^Oscar said:
so y= e^(x^x)

dy/dx = x2e^(x^x)?

No …

e^(xx) = e^(exlogx),

so it's not x2, but d/dx(exlogx), = … ? :smile:

(and a^(xx) = e^(xxloga) wink:)
 


sorry if I am misunderstanding... is the log to the base e?

If so then d/dx(e^xlogx) = (xlogx)e^(xlogx)?

Or perhaps d/dx(e^xlogx) = e^x2?

Sorry if i sound daft... not too familiar with this stuff :S


Thanks,

Oscar
 
No, use the chain rule …

d/dx(exlogx) = exlogx d/dx(xlogx) :smile:

(use the X2 tag just above the reply box :wink:)
 


so xlogx differentiates to 1+logx?

so (1+logx)exlogx?
 
2^Oscar said:
so xlogx differentiates to 1+logx?

so (1+logx)exlogx?

Yup! :biggrin:
 


Oh wow so the end differentiation is (1+logx)exlogxex^x?


Thanks so much for your help :D

Oscar
 


2^Oscar said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering about what a graph would look like where the power to a did not increase at a linear rate i.e

a^(x^x)

Usually when you look into powers that increase at a rate rather than linear, you try quadratic, not exponential :-p

While I don't think it applies to anything, I'm more curious to dedicate my life studying:

[tex]y=e^{x^{x^x}}[/tex]

There is growing interest in the field of BS-mathematics :wink:

If you haven't noticed yet, it grows pretty fast.

[tex]x=1 ~ y=e[/tex]
[tex]x=1.5 ~ y=8[/tex]
[tex]x=2 ~ y=9,000,000[/tex]
[tex]x=2.3 ~ y>googol[/tex]