What Does the Metric Tensor Imply in This Context?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
redstone
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
I've read that the metric tensor is defined as
[tex]{{g}^{ab}}={{e}^{a}}\cdot {{e}^{b}}[/tex]

so does that imply that?
[tex]{{g}^{ab}}{{g}_{cd}}={{e}^{a}}{{e}^{b}}{{e}_{c}}{{e}_{d}}={{e}^{a}}{{e}_{c}}{{e}^{b}}{{e}_{d}}=g_{c}^{a}g_{d}^{b}[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, that can't be correct. For example, let ##a = 1, b = 2, c = 1, d = 2## and assume we're dealing with the standard Minkowski metric.

Then ##g^{ab}g_{cd} = g^{12}g_{12} = 0\cdot 0 = 0##

But, ##g^a_cg^b_d = g^1_1g^2_2 = 1\cdot 1 = 1##
 
redstone said:
I've read that the metric tensor is defined as
[tex]{{g}^{ab}}={{e}^{a}}\cdot {{e}^{b}}[/tex]

so does that imply that?
[tex]{{g}^{ab}}{{g}_{cd}}={{e}^{a}}{{e}^{b}}{{e}_{c}}{{e}_{d}}={{e}^{a}}{{e}_{c}}{{e}^{b}}{{e}_{d}}=g_{c}^{a}g_{d}^{b}[/tex]

Nope. You lost the dot product completely when you went to the next expression. If your metric is diagonal is [itex]g^{01}g_{01}=g^0_0 g^1_1[/itex]?
 
The easiest way to understand the metric tensor is to use dyadic notation:

I = (ei[itex]\cdot[/itex]ej)eiej = gij eiej = (ei[itex]\cdot[/itex]ej)eiej = gij eiej

Any vector or tensor dotted with the metric tensor returns that vector or tensor unchanged. Thus, the metric tensor can be regarded as the identity tensor.