What does this article mean? (The holographic principle and M-cosmology)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Suekdccia
Messages
352
Reaction score
30
I was reading an article about holographic principle and M-cosmology and how could they be used to interpret QM mechanics. But there's a part where it talks about holographic principle in a strange way to me.

What does this article mean with this?:

"Since for the participant observer the observable universe appears less to be a hologram than rather to be a kind of semitransparent mirror, at which it seems hard to distinguish between, what it shows, from, what’s behind, and, what it reflects, from, what is and what happens in front of it.”

https://philarchive.org/archive/KURAIO-2

I've asked this question in other scientific discussion websites before, and the people that have answered me say that it is an oversimplified article that can create confusion mainly because the lack of equations.
But setting aside all of this, I wanted to know what is the article referring to.
Is it a sort of "alternative holographic model" where the observers inside the holographic universe would see what's in the bulk?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Suekdccia said:
I've asked this question in other scientific discussion websites before, and the people that have answered me say that it is an oversimplified article that can create confusion mainly because the lack of equations.

I would say that's an appropriate response. The models this article seems to be talking about are highly speculative to begin with, and we have no good way of testing them experimentally. Piling further speculations about interpretations of QM on top of that seems like an awful lot to digest, particularly if one is not very familiar with the models to begin with.

Suekdccia said:
I wanted to know what is the article referring to.

I'm not familiar enough with the field myself to know. Unfortunately, the only way to really dig into this is probably to start looking at the references given in the paper. References #10 and #11 seem like the ones that would give the most information on the cosmological model in question, but they also look like the most esoteric.