What does this length represent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the ratio between a metal's fermi temperature and debye temperature, using the equation (6*pi^2)^(1/3) * (lambda/a). The participants also approximate the fermi momentum and discuss the relationship between the electron concentration and the Debye temperature. They also mention the use of the equation for mono-valent atoms and the lack of explanation for lambda.
unscientific
I was doing some calculations earlier and tried the ratio between a metal's fermi temperature ##T_F## and debye temperature ##\theta_D##:
[tex]\frac{T_F}{\theta_D} = (6 \pi^2)^{\frac{1}{3}} \left( \frac{\lambda}{a} \right)[/tex]

where ##\lambda = \frac{\hbar}{2 m_e c}## and lattice spacing is ##a##.

I tried approximating fermi momentum ##p_F \approx m_e c## and we get ##\lambda \approx \frac{1}{2k_F}##. Does this mean anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is c?

nasu said:
What is c?
Averaged speed of sound

Oh, then it does not make sense to associate mc with the Fermi momentum. The electrons near the Fermi sphere have much higher speeds. At least one order of magnitude if not two.

How come that electron concentration does not show up in the result? There is no free electron concentration in the Debye temperature.

nasu said:
Oh, then it does not make sense to associate mc with the Fermi momentum. The electrons near the Fermi sphere have much higher speeds. At least one order of magnitude if not two.

How come that electron concentration does not show up in the result? There is no free electron concentration in the Debye temperature.
Oh I assumed it was a FCC lattice, so ##n = \frac{N}{a^3} = \frac{4}{a^3}##.

N would be the number of atoms, right?
The number of free electrons is not necessarily equal to the same N. It may be, though.

nasu said:
N would be the number of atoms, right?
The number of free electrons is not necessarily equal to the same N. It may be, though.

I think we can make that approximation for a mono-valent atom. I saw a similar expression in my textbook too, but they never explained what ##lambda## was which is why I'm trying to find out.

bumpp

What does this length represent?

This is a common question in science when dealing with measurements and units. The answer can vary depending on the context and what is being measured.

1. How is length defined?

Length is defined as the measurement of the distance between two points. It is a fundamental quantity in physics and is typically measured in units such as meters or centimeters.

2. What is the difference between length and distance?

Length is a measurement of a specific distance between two points, whereas distance refers to the overall amount of space between two objects or points. Length is a specific measurement, while distance is a more general term.

3. How is length measured?

Length can be measured using various tools and techniques, such as rulers, measuring tapes, or laser rangefinders. The accuracy and precision of the measurement will depend on the instrument used and the skill of the person taking the measurement.

4. What are the units of length?

The most commonly used units of length are meters (m) and centimeters (cm). Other units include millimeters (mm), kilometers (km), and inches (in). Different fields of science may also use specific units of length, such as astronomical units (AU) in astronomy.

5. Why is it important to use standard units of length in science?

Using standard units of length allows for consistency and accuracy in scientific measurements. It also allows for easier communication and comparison of data between different researchers and experiments. Standard units also have a defined conversion factor, making it easier to convert between units if needed.