What does time=0 represent in kinematics

It's not exactly zero, but it's close enough to be considered zero for practical purposes. The horizontal velocity, on the other hand, is significant and affects the motion of the ball. This is because the ball already has an initial velocity in the horizontal direction from being thrown.
Talha
So basically i am confused about time 0 in terms of kinamatics graphs
Lets say i throw a ball upwards so what does time t=0 represent, the time after which the ball is released or the time at which ball is about to be released?
Secondly in projectile motion if i throw a ball horizontally at a height then time zero has zero vertical velocity but a non zero horizontal velocity, why is that(considering the first option that it represents time after ball is released so it must have some vertical velocity even in points due to 9.8m/s^2 acceleration)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically t=0 is chosen to be the point where the ball is released. The velocity at t=0 is then the initial velocity you give the ball, unaffected by gravity.
The velocity for t>0 is affected by gravity.

Keep in mind that this choice is completely arbitrary. You can define that the ball is released at t=6436.83 s. Then gravity only affects the velocity for t>6436.83 s. It doesn’t change the motion of the ball, it just makes the calculation a bit more complicated.

Normally, the complete statement would be "t represents the time in seconds after the ball is released".

So t=0 is when the ball is about to be released and anything >0 is when the ball will have vertical velocity. Since this is the last instant where the ball is still in contact with your hand, this is the initial velocity given to the ball. Afterwards, it will experience acceleration/decelleration due to net force from external factors (air resistance and gravity)

Talha said:
So basically i am confused about time 0 in terms of kinamatics graphs
Lets say i throw a ball upwards so what does time t=0 represent, the time after which the ball is released or the time at which ball is about to be released?

The first case is just before the ball is released.
The second case is just after the ball is released.

In the limit (eg when "just before" or "just after" means an infinitely small amount of time) these are the same thing.

Secondly in projectile motion if i throw a ball horizontally at a height then time zero has zero vertical velocity but a non zero horizontal velocity, why is that(considering the first option that it represents time after ball is released so it must have some vertical velocity even in points due to 9.8m/s^2 acceleration)?

It's so soon after release that the vertical velocity might as well still be zero.

What does time=0 represent in kinematics?

Time=0 represents the starting point or initial state in a kinematics problem. It is the point at which motion begins and serves as a reference point for measuring the change in position, velocity, and acceleration.

Why is time=0 important in kinematics?

Time=0 is important because it allows us to determine the initial conditions of a moving object and track its motion over time. It also helps us calculate the change in position, velocity, and acceleration, which are crucial quantities in kinematics.

Can time=0 be negative in kinematics?

No, time=0 cannot be negative in kinematics. Time=0 represents the starting point, and negative time values would imply that motion started before the actual starting point, which is not possible.

How is time=0 different from time=1 in kinematics?

Time=0 and time=1 are different points in time, with time=0 being the starting point and time=1 being a later point in time. Time=0 is crucial for determining the initial conditions of an object, while time=1 is used to track the object's motion after a specific time interval.

Can time=0 represent a specific time in seconds in kinematics?

Yes, time=0 can represent a specific time in seconds in kinematics. However, it is important to note that the choice of units for time (seconds, minutes, hours) can vary depending on the problem and should be consistent throughout the calculations.