1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What else besides math should I study to prepare?

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    I have been spending most of my time studying math, for an eventual goal of electrical engineering degree. My question is, simply, other than math what should I be studying?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2
    Physics, and maybe a tiny bit of chemistry. But huge emphasis on the math and physics

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    Electrical engineering? There are always things you can start learning in that field with some basic math and physics if that is what interests you.

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
    My intention is not to advertise the following books/Authors but they are 'standard'....So,if you want to be really prepared beforehand , the recommended basic books to study are:

-mathematics for engineers(amazon website is selling 2 good ones).Imo,prefer math books that include in their title the word 'engineer'.I bought Troba's book only to find it too theoretical,more appropriate for math majors,you need engineering oriented books.

-Sedra Smith's,Malvino's and Boylestad's books about electrical and electronic circuits and devices.Must have them all and fully comprehended.These are your EE Bible...

-Systems and controls books(introductory books not advanced).Systems and controls is time consuming if properly studied,a must know subject beforehand or you might STRUGGLE if the professor is not so good a teacher!Expect HEAVY use of maths...

-All Scaum's outline series books:electromagnetism,electric circuits,analog,digital design,mathematics,physics etc etc.These books are cheap to buy and have a TON of SOLVED problems==> digest them and you can skip some lectures early in the morning!Plus,if you "don't have money" ,you can download them for free via torrents...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  6. Oct 13, 2012 #5
    As others have said, get a strong foundation in math and physics. Learn how to analyze circuit diagrams using Kirchhoff's Laws (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws).

Also, once you get a basis for understanding circuits and their components, I'd suggest picking up 'Practical Electronics for Inventors'. It has the theory part that most electronics books have, but it also has an application section where you can see how to build pretty much anything you're looking for. Its a good reference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook