1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What equations would I use to solve for work and power delivered?

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    A 6 kg particle starts from rest at x = 0 and moves under the influence of a single force Fx = 6 + 4x - 3x2, where Fx is in newtons and x is in meters.

(a) Find the work done by the force as the particle moves from x = 0 to x = 2 m.
    in J
    (b) Find the power delivered to the particle when it is at x = 2 m.
    in W

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How do you determine the work done on an object given a certain force acting over a certain distance? This should be a very basic equation that you should know the equation for.

Also, the units seem to be a bit odd, are you sure that's the correct form of the force?

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    fx is 6+4x-3x^2 sorry about that. and would i use the equation w= integral of fx from distance initial to distance final?

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes. There you go. Your integration bounds are given the initial and final distances.

6. Oct 4, 2011 #5
    ok now do i have to integrate the fx or is that already accomplished and i should just plug in the numbers, because when i integrate that i get -x^3+2x^2+6x and when i integrate from 0 to 2 i get the answer incorrect.

7. Oct 4, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No, you must integrate the function. Check your work, you integrated correctly.

8. Oct 4, 2011 #7
    and also how can i find power without a time given

9. Oct 4, 2011 #8
    For that after i integrate i get 20 is that incorrect?

10. Oct 4, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No, that's not correct.

I didn't even notice the part asking about power. I really think you haven't written down the problem correctly. Are you sure you don't mean [itex]x(t) = 6 + 4t - 3t^2[/itex]?

11. Oct 4, 2011 #10
    that is the exact copy of my problem. i just looked it over and i am not sure where i am going wrong when i integrate all i should have to do is plug 2 in as x correct because 0 will just yield 0 when plugged in as x

12. Oct 4, 2011 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You don't have enough information to determine the power.

When you integrate, you should get the work done = 12J, not 20J (check your algebra). I highly doubt you have copied the question correctly. There is no way to determine the power with what you are given.

13. Oct 4, 2011 #12
    that is what i thought and i just double checked that. when you integrate is it products of time inital minus time final? is that where i am making my mistake. I have not integrated in a very long time.

14. Oct 4, 2011 #13
    never mind i realize what i did wrong in integration. stupid mistake. I wish i could figure out the power though

15. Oct 4, 2011 #14
    thanks for your help. i appreciate it. i just gave up on the power. if you could not figure it out i knew it must not be possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook