Work / Power done to a particle

In summary, a 1 kg particle starts from rest at x = 0 and moves under the influence of a single force Fx = 6.6 + 12.6x - 1.8x2, where Fx is in Newtons and x is in meters. The work done by this force on the particle as it moves from x = 0 m to x = 1.5 m is 22.05 Joules. The power delivered to the particle when it is at x = 1.5 m is 146.43 Watts, calculated by plugging 1.5 into the Fx equation and multiplying it by the velocity. The formula for speed comes from the definition of kinetic energy,
Warmacblu

Homework Statement

A 1 kg particle starts from rest at x = 0 and moves under the influence of a single force Fx = 6.6 + 12.6x - 1.8x2, where Fx is in Newtons and x is in meters.

Find the work done by this force on the particle as the particle moves from x = 0 m to x = 1.5 m.

Find the power delivered to the particle when it is at x = 1.5 m.

Homework Equations

Integrals
V = (2K/m)1/2
P = Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first part by solving the integral and plugging in 1.5. The answer was 22.05.

The second part I thought I had correct:

V = (2K/m)1/2, where K = W
V = (2(22.05)/1.5)1/2
V = 119.56 W

I tried variations on this number because I was certain I was correct, I even tried the negatives. Perhaps my equation for V is incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Warmacblu said:
V = (2(22.05)/1.5)1/2
m ≠ 1.5

Doc Al said:
m ≠ 1.5

Wow, m equals mass?

V = (2(22.05)/1)1/2
V = 6.64 m/s

W = 22.05 x 6.64

W = 146.43

Warmacblu said:
Wow, m equals mass?
Uh, yeah... I hope you're not just plugging into formulas without knowing what they mean. :wink:

That formula for speed comes from the definition of kinetic energy, K = 1/2mv^2.

V = (2(22.05)/1)1/2
V = 6.64 m/s
OK.
W = 22.05 x 6.64
:confused: Why are you multiplying W by the speed? (And then calling it W!)

Doc Al said:
Uh, yeah... I hope you're not just plugging into formulas without knowing what they mean. :wink:

That formula for speed comes from the definition of kinetic energy, K = 1/2mv^2.

OK.

:confused: Why are you multiplying W by the speed? (And then calling it W!)

I was just becoming very frustrated with this question because it seemed so easy but I guess I don't really understand the concepts yet.

I am trying to solve for power which is P - Fv. I solved for v and I guess I thought that my previous answer was the force but it wasn't, it was just the average power.

I believe that in order to solve this problem, I have to plug in 1.5 into the Fx equation given to solve for the force and multiply that by the velocity.

Note - I already used up all of my tries for this problem so I would just like to understand the concept of the question now.

Warmacblu said:
I believe that in order to solve this problem, I have to plug in 1.5 into the Fx equation given to solve for the force and multiply that by the velocity.
That's right. (In the future, try to take it slower. Double check each step.)

Doc Al said:
That's right. (In the future, try to take it slower. Double check each step.)

Thanks, will do.

1. What is work in relation to a particle?

Work is the transfer of energy to or from a particle by a force acting on it, resulting in a displacement in the direction of the force.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force acting on a particle by the distance the particle moves in the direction of the force.

3. What is the unit of work?

The unit of work is joule (J), which is equivalent to a newton-meter (N*m).

4. How is power related to work?

Power is the rate at which work is done, or the amount of work done per unit of time. It is calculated by dividing the amount of work by the time it takes to do that work.

5. Can the work done on a particle be negative?

Yes, the work done on a particle can be negative if the force applied to the particle is in the opposite direction of its displacement. This indicates that energy is being transferred away from the particle.