1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work / Power done to a particle

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1 kg particle starts from rest at x = 0 and moves under the influence of a single force Fx = 6.6 + 12.6x - 1.8x2, where Fx is in Newtons and x is in meters.

Find the work done by this force on the particle as the particle moves from x = 0 m to x = 1.5 m.

Find the power delivered to the particle when it is at x = 1.5 m.

2. Relevant equations

Integrals
    V = (2K/m)1/2
    P = Fv

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved the first part by solving the integral and plugging in 1.5. The answer was 22.05.

The second part I thought I had correct:

V = (2K/m)1/2, where K = W
    V = (2(22.05)/1.5)1/2
    V = 119.56 W

I tried variations on this number because I was certain I was correct, I even tried the negatives. Perhaps my equation for V is incorrect?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

m ≠ 1.5

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3
    Wow, m equals mass?

V = (2K/m)1/2, where K = W
    V = (2(22.05)/1)1/2
    V = 6.64 m/s

W = 22.05 x 6.64

W = 146.43

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Uh, yeah... I hope you're not just plugging into formulas without knowing what they mean. :wink:

That formula for speed comes from the definition of kinetic energy, K = 1/2mv^2.

OK.
    :confused: Why are you multiplying W by the speed? (And then calling it W!)

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    I was just becoming very frustrated with this question because it seemed so easy but I guess I don't really understand the concepts yet.

I am trying to solve for power which is P - Fv. I solved for v and I guess I thought that my previous answer was the force but it wasn't, it was just the average power.

I believe that in order to solve this problem, I have to plug in 1.5 into the Fx equation given to solve for the force and multiply that by the velocity.

Note - I already used up all of my tries for this problem so I would just like to understand the concept of the question now.

7. Sep 28, 2009 #6

Doc Al

That's right. (In the future, try to take it slower. Double check each step.)

8. Sep 28, 2009 #7
    Thanks, will do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook