What exactly is loop quantum gravity?

In summary, Loop quantum gravity is a new approach to quantizing gravity that uses new variables to replace the well-known metric in classical gravity. The problem is that naive mechanisms to quantize gravity (which have been applied successfully to other fields) fail for gravity, so something fundamental has to be changed. There are different approaches to solve these problems, including string theory and asymptotic safety, but LQG is the most promising so far.
tom.stoer said:
That's only partially true. There are proposals for a time-evolution operator or Hamiltonian H which look consistent. In addition the spin foam formulation seems to avoid this problem completely; in addition they are working on a harmonization of these two formulations, canonical spin networks and spin foams.

This is still a rather speculative idea - but of course it would be a highly appreciated major breakthrough

what do you think of the current work of including a spectral triple with LQG quantization? i.e NCG+LQG?

Physics news on Phys.org
ensabah6 said:
what do you think of the current work of including a spectral triple with LQG quantization? i.e NCG+LQG?
Do you really mean NCG a la Connes or simply q-Deformation?

The latter one seems to be natural (forget about the reason for the SL(2,C) = 4-dim spacetime, take any symmetry group and study its spin foams w/o any reference to dimension; this includes SU, SO, SP?, E? and q-deformation)

Regarding NCG: I do not know enough about it, but it seems that it could spoil the simple picture of LQG; the Connes approach is rather special and seems to explain nothing (it simply replaces the standard model with a special NC geometry, but it can't explain why THIS gemometry, not something else); I would prefer to see matter and the cc emering from q-defomed / framed spin networks - but this could be wishful thinking ...

nomisrosen said:
... The uncertain geometry did it for me. But now, what are these nodes and spin networks made of..? Do they operate at the Planck scale?

Also, is there some sort of wave function of probability to know how this geometry might behave in a certain situation?

What determines how much space a node can give rise too? And of course, what is "outside the node"

I think of spin networks as descriptors used to describe simplified geometry. So a spin network is analogous to a word, or a number. We don't need to ask "what is the number 3 made of?" or "what is the word mass made of?" I guess adding more and more nodes and links to the network is in some way analogous to adding more decimal places to a number---making the description more refined/accurate/realistic.

The bottom line is not "what is it made of?" but rather: does it work as a description? Is it the right way to diagram the uncertain geometric reality?

In answer to your first main question, YES the spin network description is supposed to work at planck scale!
This is, in fact, one of the principal goals of LQG research! To find a description of the world's uncertain geometry that continues to work in extreme circumstances (like extreme density, where classical geometry suffers a "singularity" and fails to make sense.)

Beyond that, and equally important, the aim is to have a description that predicts enough about the early universe to be TESTABLE. To be science (and not just myth or fairytale) it has to predict features that people can look for in the ancient light (the so-called microwave background or CMB). A good description must risk falsification by predicting some observable footprint in the oldest light. Or traces in something else, say neutrinos?, which might have been left over from the extreme density Planck era.

Your second main question was about describing behavior.

We can think of a spin network as describing an instantaneous state of geometry, so then we want to know how that evolves. Eventually we want to be able to talk about how geometry interacts with matter---so there is this general issue of behavior, spelled out in transition probabilities.

The descriptive tool used in LQG to get transition probabilities (from one spin network state to another) is called a spin foam.

A foam is like the moving picture of a changing network. If you picture a network as a spider web, then a foam is sort of like a honeycomb. Both are mathematical objects. In LQG, both have labels.

So your second question points in that direction: is there some sort of mathematical machinery to calculate transition probabilities, from one geometric state to the next? The answer is YES. There are spin foams which are the paths of evolution of spin networks, and techniques have been developed for calculating probability amplitudes.

Also I think at this point you find disagreement. Different LQG researchers have proposed different procedures for calculating transition amplitudes. There are unresolved issues about infinities that have to be ironed out. And some way must be found to TEST. If a theory does not risk falsification by making predictions about something that you can reasonably expect might be observed, then it is empty. Ways to test are beginning to be proposed, but are still controversial. There is a lot of work to do.

This week the biannual LQG conference is being held. To see the list of talks, and get an idea of the topics being researched, go here
http://www.iem.csic.es/loops11/
and click on the menu where it says "scientific program".

Last edited:
tom.stoer said:
That's only partially true. There are proposals for a time-evolution operator or Hamiltonian H which look consistent. In addition the spin foam formulation seems to avoid this problem completely; in addition they are working on a harmonization of these two formulations, canonical spin networks and spin foams.

This is still a rather speculative idea - but of course it would be a highly appreciated major breakthrough

Yes indeed to both points. Maybe the problem has already been solved by Thiemann's old proposal, and it just isn't understood how to extract the right classical limit. I've often read that it's thought the Thiemann solution had the wrong classical limit, but I don't know the literature apart from isolated statements here and there in other papers. Do you know any papers that examine the classical/semiclassical limit of Thiemann's solution?

marcus said:
I think of spin networks as descriptors used to describe simplified geometry. So a spin network is analogous to a word, or a number. We don't need to ask "what is the number 3 made of?" or "what is the word mass made of?" I guess adding more and more nodes and links to the network is in some way analogous to adding more decimal places to a number---making the description more refined/accurate/realistic.

The bottom line is not "what is it made of?" but rather: does it work as a description? Is it the right way to diagram the uncertain geometric reality?

I don't really understand how the universe's geometry can be something real and yet not be made of anything...

Are the links basically like guidelines of space that nothing can cross (as in the only way to get from one point in space to another)?

Is this a good visualization of how matter interacts with spin foam?

Thanks again for all your clarifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
nomisrosen said:
I don't really understand how the universe's geometry can be something real and yet not be made of anything...

This is something in our culture, Simon. It leads to a problem. If something is only real if it is made of something else, where does it stop?

Is this a good visualization of how matter interacts with spin foam?

That is a thoughtprovoking visualization. I wouldn't think of it as literal fact, but as suggestive (a simplified 2D toy universe.) Plus I personally can't vouch. I'm an observer from the sidelines. I am not an expert. I don't do LQG research. It is exciting and interesting so I watch it. Thanks for the link.

Ultimately what matters is HOW NATURE RESPONDS TO MEASUREMENT. How we interact with it. Ultimately you cannot continue to explain nature by saying what it is "made of". There are limits to what we can measure. Certain things lose their operational meaning past Planck scale, if you cannot measure them. Anyway that is what I think.

So I want fundamental descriptions (of interaction and geometric relationship), I do not expect "this made of that" answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
A spin network is not made of anything. It describes a situation you might think of discovering by making measurements. Put a bag around this and these and this and these nodes and your bag will now contain just that much volume. Add up the volume labels contained in the bag---there is one associated with each node.

Plus you can determine the area surrounding the region by adding up the cut links. The bag surrounding that bunch of nodes has to pass through a bunch of links that connect the inside with the outside. Or think of the links as pins puncturing the bag. All those links are labeled, so add up the labels to determine area. I know this seems a bit vague but it actually works pretty well to specify the "skeleton" of a geometry. You can even get angles (as well as areas and vols) from the labels.

The labels are simple enough: whole numbers and half-integers like 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2, 5/2,... They encode the geometry that lives on a particular network or skeleton.

I notice folks still go to this thread, so it might be helpful to bring it up to date. Particularly as regards the new formulation and the OPEN PROBLEMS relating to it that various people have listed.
When I say LQG I mean of course the new formulation that uses spin foam to calculate transition amplitudes between quantum states of geometry.

A quantum state of boundary geometry (e.g. initial and final quantum states) is determined by a network of measurements (e.g. angles, distances, areas...) represented by a labeled graph.

The probability of the implied transition between boundary states is given by an amplitude calculated from the foam (a honeycomb-like "cell complex") enclosed by the boundary. Mathematically a foam is analogous to a graph but at one higher dimension. Instead of merely having nodes and links, it has vertices, edges and faces. Labeled with quantum numbers, a foam describes a possible way that geometry can evolve from one 3D geometric quantum state to another.

I'll refer to the new LQG formulation as the Zakopane formulation. It appeared in a series of 4 papers:
A New Look at LQG... (April 2010) 1004.1780
Geometry of LQG... (May 2010) 1005.2927.
Simple Model... (October 2010) 1010.1939
Zakopane Lectures (February 2011) http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.3660

A remarkable thing about the new formulation developed in these papers is its concise easy-to-understand presentation. A clear definite description of the theory can be given in one page. The fourth paper also gives the math prep needed to appreciate the one--age formulation, making it self-contained. The fourth is basically an improved version of the first and these two papers present a list of OPEN PROBLEMS for researchers to tackle. Several of these are areas where progress is currently being made. The listed problems are primarily conceptual in nature, having to do with the theory itself. There is also current activity in cosmology, investigating ways to test the theory by comparing its predictions with observation.

Another window on interesting conceptual problems, for someone getting into LQG research at graduate or postdoc level, is the October 2011 paper by Freidel Geiller and Ziprick which reveals the classical continuum phase space discretization that Zakopane LQG is the quantization of.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.4833
Continuous formulation of the Loop Quantum Gravity phase space
Laurent Freidel, Marc Geiller, Jonathan Ziprick
(Submitted on 21 Oct 2011)
In this paper, we study the discrete classical phase space of loop gravity, which is expressed in terms of the holonomy-flux variables, and show how it is related to the continuous phase space of general relativity. In particular, we prove an isomorphism between the loop gravity discrete phase space and the symplectic reduction of the continuous phase space with respect to a flatness constraint. This gives for the first time a precise relationship between the continuum and holonomy-flux variables...
For various reasons, the conceptual importance of this paper is hard to overestimate.

Last edited: