What exactly is the god particle ?

• Thread starter andiamaj1431
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, The "god particle" is a nickname for the Higgs boson, a subatomic particle that is predicted to exist by the Standard Model of particle physics. It has nothing to do with religion and finding it does not prove the existence of God. You can click on the link provided to learn more about the Higgs boson.
andiamaj1431
what exactly is the "god particle"?

so I've heard about this god particle and am wondering what it is :confused:, I am not really religious, and hope this doesn't turn into some religious argument, but i just want to know what this thing is o:)

Physics news on Phys.org

Nothing to do with religion. It's just a colorful nickname for the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson" .

Last edited by a moderator:

i heard that christians were trying to find it to prove gods existence by next year or so? if anything, what is the higgs boson?

andiamaj1431 said:
i heard that christians were trying to find it to prove gods existence by next year or so?
Sounds like a silly rumor. Again, the 'god particle' has nothing whatsoever to do with religion and finding it has nothing to do with 'proving god's existence'.
if anything, what is the higgs boson?
Click the link in my last post.

ohhhh ok, now it makes more sense, thank you for clearing that up, just something i looked up, got results that didnt make sense to me

Related to What exactly is the god particle ?

What is the god particle?

The "god particle" is a nickname for the Higgs boson, a subatomic particle that is believed to give other particles their mass. It was first theorized in the 1960s but was not discovered until 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland.

Why is it called the god particle?

The term "god particle" was actually coined by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Leon Lederman in his book "The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?" The name was chosen for its dramatic effect, but many scientists do not like the term and prefer to use the Higgs boson instead.

What is the significance of the discovery of the god particle?

The discovery of the Higgs boson confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, a fundamental part of the Standard Model of particle physics. It also helps to explain how particles obtain mass and is a crucial step in our understanding of the universe.

How was the god particle discovered?

The Higgs boson was discovered by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). The LHC is a powerful particle accelerator that collides protons at high speeds, recreating conditions similar to those after the Big Bang. The resulting data showed evidence of the Higgs boson's existence.

What are the potential uses of the god particle?

The discovery of the Higgs boson has potential implications in various areas of physics, such as understanding the origin of mass and furthering our knowledge of the fundamental forces of nature. It may also lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as energy and medicine.