What exactly is the amplitude of an interaction?

In summary, the symbol "M" in Griffiths' intro to elementary particles is actually the "probability amplitude" which can be calculated using the Feynman diagram of an interaction. It is similar to the position probability density in ordinary quantum mechanics, but is used to calculate the cross section or decay width in particle physics. If one is not familiar with quantum mechanical amplitudes, it may be beneficial to start with a book on QM before returning to Griffiths' book.
Natchanon
I've been reading Griffths' intro to elementary particles and I encountered this symbol that looks similar to "M" called amplitude, which can be calculated by analyzing the Feynman diagram of an interaction. What exactly is it? When I hear amplitude I imagine waves, but not sure what this one's supposed to mean.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the "probability amplitude". You multiply it by its complex conjugate in order to get a type of probability density for the interaction, similarly to the way in ordinary QM the position probability density ##P(\vec x) = |\psi(\vec x)|^2 = \psi^*(\vec x)\psi(\vec x)##.

Likes Natchanon
If you have not seen a quantum mechanical amplitude, it is likely that Griffiths is too advanced for you at the moment. I would suggest backing off to a book on QM, and when you have that down, return to Griffiths,

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
If you have not seen a quantum mechanical amplitude, it is likely that Griffiths is to advanced for you at the moment. I would suggest backing off to a book on QM, and when you have that down, return to Griffiths,
I have read his book intro to quantum mechanics and have taken an intro to QM class. I know about Schrodinger eq and how to calculate probability from it.

jtbell said:
This is the "probability amplitude". You multiply it by its complex conjugate in order to get a type of probability density for the interaction, similarly to the way in ordinary QM the position probability density ##P(\vec x) = |\psi(\vec x)|^2 = \psi^*(\vec x)\psi(\vec x)##.
So intergral of|M|^2 is the prob that particular interaction will occur?

Natchanon said:
So intergral of|M|^2 is the prob that particular interaction will occur?

Not quite. In particle physics there are two kind of processes: scattering and decays. There are two famous observables that you can calculate with QFT: cross section for the first and decay width for the second.

For both you need ## | \mathcal M | ^ 2 ##, but also some kinematics of the process.

## \mathcal M ## represents somehow the probability, but it is not as direct as in QM.

Likes Natchanon

1. What is the definition of amplitude in an interaction?

The amplitude of an interaction is a measure of the strength of the interaction between two particles or systems. It is a complex number that describes the probability of the interaction occurring and the properties of the particles involved.

2. How is the amplitude of an interaction calculated?

The amplitude of an interaction is calculated using mathematical equations and models that take into account the properties of the particles involved, such as their masses, charges, and spin. These calculations can be quite complex and require advanced mathematical techniques.

3. What is the significance of the amplitude in particle physics?

The amplitude of an interaction is crucial in understanding the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. By studying the amplitudes of various interactions, scientists can gain insights into the underlying laws of physics and the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

4. How does the amplitude of an interaction affect the outcome of a collision?

The amplitude of an interaction directly affects the likelihood of a collision occurring between particles. A higher amplitude indicates a stronger interaction and a higher probability of a collision. However, other factors such as the particles' velocities and angles of collision also play a role in determining the outcome.

5. Can the amplitude of an interaction change over time?

Yes, the amplitude of an interaction can change over time. This can occur due to a change in the particles' properties, such as their energies or spins, or due to the presence of other particles that may affect the interaction. Studying these changes in amplitude can provide valuable insights into the dynamics of particle interactions.