What exactly is the relationship between calculus and differential equ

In summary, Differential equations are just called "equations and how they relate to their derivatives" in some places, but have their own course at some schools.
Deinosuchus735
When I look up curriculums at school, I always find the main sequence of Calc 1-3(single variable to multivariable) then differential equations. But when I look up the definitions, diff equations are just called "equations and how they relate to their derivatives." I'm assuming there's more to it than that. What makes diff eq have its own course rather than just putting it in the main calculus sequence?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The course names are just something that has emerged as a sort of "standard" in the USA. When I learned this stuff (quite a while ago, in the UK) nobody talked about separate courses called Pre-calc, Calc 1, Calc 2, etc. In the UK, all the math courses up to high school level are just called "maths" (and the UK doesn't call high schools "high schools" either!)

Differential equations can involve derivatives of a single variable, or partial derivatives of several variables (usually called ordinary differential equations or ODEs, and partial differential equations or PDEs). Calc 1 and 2 are prerequisites for ODEs and Calc 3 (multi-variable) for PDEs. So they are "part of the main calculus sequence", except the course isn't called "Calc 4".

There are two sorts of diff eq courses: those that just teach you how to solve them, and those that also teach you some mathematics. The more mathematical courses need linear algebra as a prerequisite as well as calculus.

Adding to AlephZero's response, most calculus sequences do teach the basics of solving differential equations. Normal integration can be thought of as solving the simplest differential equations. But, it gets very complicated quickly and finding solutions to differential equations are very important to most sciences, so an entire semester is devoted to at least ODE's.

I have a friend that went to a school where they had Calc I-IV instead of calling Calc IV a differential equations class. Both Calc III and IV required linear algebra. I forget which school it was, but the course was the same except that it took longer to get her transfer approved :cry:

I see, thanks for the responses

What exactly is the relationship between calculus and differential equations?

The relationship between calculus and differential equations is that differential equations are a fundamental part of calculus. In fact, differential equations are used to describe various mathematical models that are solved using techniques from calculus.

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve derivatives. They are used to describe relationships between a function and its derivatives, and are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model various phenomena.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is divided into two main branches: differential calculus, which deals with rates of change and slopes of curves, and integral calculus, which deals with finding the area under curves.

How are differential equations used in calculus?

Differential equations are used in calculus to model real-life situations that involve rates of change. By using techniques from calculus, such as finding derivatives and integrals, these equations can be solved to obtain information about the behavior of a system.

What are some applications of calculus and differential equations?

Calculus and differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and solve problems related to motion, growth, optimization, and many other real-world phenomena.