What Force is Needed to Move and Maintain an Ice-Fishing Hut?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sace Ver
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Sace Ver
Messages
79
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



An ice-fishing hut weighing 52N sits on dry, frozen lake.
(a). What is the magnitude of the initial horizontal force required to make the ice-fishing hut start sliding across the surface of the frozen pond?
(b). Once the ice-fishing hut has begun sliding, what force is required to maintain the hut sliding at a constant speed?

Given:
FN: 52N

Homework Equations



Us=Fs/FN

UK=FK/FN

The Attempt at a Solution



I figured out the mass is 5.3 kg by using the formula m=Fg/g and I'm not sure quite what to do next I feel as if some information is lacking? And I'm not quite sure if this question has acceleration and if it does is the acceleration for part (a) is 0?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sace Ver said:
Us=Fs/FN

UK=FK/FN

Just re-arrange these equations to put the friction force on one side. You are given the normal force, but it looks like you are not given the two coefficients of friction, so just keep them as variables in your answers.