Calculate Kinetic Friction Coefficient for Hockey Puck on Ice

  • Thread starter Thread starter kopinator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ice
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
kopinator
Messages
41
Reaction score
1
A hockey puck on a frozen pond with an initial speed of 21.9 m/s stops after sliding a distance of 209.7 m. Calculate the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice.

F(friction)=mu*Normal force
Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(Xf-Xi)

I used the second equation I gave to find the acceleration which is -1.14 m/s^s. I don't know what to do to get the answer from there.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kopinator said:
A hockey puck on a frozen pond with an initial speed of 21.9 m/s stops after sliding a distance of 209.7 m. Calculate the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice.

F(friction)=mu*Normal force
Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(Xf-Xi)

I used the second equation I gave to find the acceleration which is -1.14 m/s^s. I don't know what to do to get the answer from there.

What is the Normal Reaction Force equal to?

How can you work out the Deccelerating Force?

Can you link those to together into 1 equation and then solve it? You'll need to assume the mass equals 1 or cancel them out.