What fossil species is this from Manitoulin Island?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mystery
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,698
Reaction score
9,103
Found this fossil on Manitoulin Island in Central Ontario - Canadian Shield area. I'd be interested in knowing what epoch they're from.

I'm thinkin' it's tube worms? Graptolites?

Or rebar.
 
Attachments
  • 060726fossil.jpg
    060726fossil.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'll beat you to the punch:

Pennyplodicus c. 2006.

Sample worth about 1 cent.

Smart ass.
 
They're crinoids. I have tons of them. Some are quite large.

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Extension/fossils/jpegs/crinoids.jpg"

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Extension/fossils/crinoid.html"

http://www.cretaceousfossils.com/non_cretaceous/crinoids.htm"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
They're crinoids. I have tons of them. Some are quite large.
Thank you! I do think that's it.

Jeez, these little shapes I've got here are almost a half billion years old!
 
It's very cool, I have (somewhere) a disc full of pictures I've taken of my fossils. I have one that I haven't found identified anywhere. It falls into the brachiopod class, but has features never described or photographed, as far as I can tell, and I have searched EVERYTHING. One of these days I going to contact KU and see if anything like it has ever been found before.