1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What function or operation am I looking for?

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    First, I am sorry for very unspecific topic, but I really have no clue what I am looking for. I need some way how in mathematical terms describe things like following:
    I have line segment of length [itex]l[/itex] and I have sine function with period length [itex]\lambda[/itex] originating at one end of line segment. If [itex]l[/itex]=[itex]\lambda[/itex] I can easily count that there will be three points on the segment where sine value will be 0. But If [itex]\lambda[/itex] is slightly shorter there still will be three such points until [itex]l=\frac{3}{2}\lambda[/itex]. Then there will be four of them. How can I describe number of such points as [itex]f(l,\lambda)[/itex]?
    What should I look for/study? Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if it is something really basic, because I tend to miss basic things :/ Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2
    So, you want to know how many zeroes are in a sine wave [itex]l/\lambda[/itex] periods long. Which should be [itex]\lfloor 2l/\lambda \rfloor+1[/itex] zeroes in total, where the brackets represent the floor function.

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    Thank you. I never heard of floor function before. Now it is clear, that in general I was looking for floor/ceiling functions.

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4
    You're welcome!

If the ratio [itex]2l/\lambda[/itex] is positive (as it will presumably be in your case), then [itex]\lfloor 2l/\lambda \rfloor[/itex] is simply the integer part of that ratio. For example, if [itex]2l/\lambda[/itex] was 17.936, then [itex]\lfloor 2l/\lambda \rfloor[/itex] would be just 17.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook