What generates black-body photons?

• I
  • Thread starter persab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, it explains that black body radiation is emitted when an object's internal degrees of freedom (such as atoms) transition to lower energy states.
persab
TL;DR Summary
black body radiation
Spectrally generated photons I get: electrons "fall down to a closer orbit" and a photon is created.
I don't understand however how the photons from black body are created. I have searched extensively for this without finding answer.

Can someone enlighten me?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are generated in a similar manner to spectral photons. Electrical charges interact and move to lower energy states. The states are just vastly more complicated in a bulk solid or dense gas than in a single atom.

Likes Klystron, vanhees71 and Dale
persab said:
Summary:: black body radiation

Spectrally generated photons I get: electrons "fall down to a closer orbit" and a photon is created.
I don't understand however how the photons from black body are created.
It is the same principle. Inside the object there are many different places for a bit of energy to go (internal degrees of freedom). Some are atomic orbitals, some are molecular orbitals, some are linear KE, some are rotational, vibrational, or torsional movements, some are longer range movements, etc. Energy that gets absorbed by the black body gets quickly “thermalized” or spread out amongst all of these degrees of freedom. Black body radiation is just like the orbital transition radiation except there are so many different possible energy levels and degrees of freedom.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, vanhees71, Drakkith and 1 other person
Dale said:
Black body radiation is just like the orbital transition radiation except there are so many different possible energy levels and degrees of freedom.

It is also worth noting that with black body radiation, the things that make transitions to lower energy states and emit the radiation might not be single electrons; they might be whole atoms or molecules or even larger groupings.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
It is also worth noting that with black body radiation, the things that make transitions to lower energy states and emit the radiation might not be single electrons; they might be whole atoms or molecules or even larger groupings.
Yes, that is a good point. I am not certain but I think vibrational modes take a minimum of two atoms and torsional modes I think require at least four and many more complex motions can be quite large. Phonons are essentially an entire crystal, basically macroscopic at that point.

Likes vanhees71
Thx all, very helpful!
This is an awesome forum!

Likes DrClaude, vanhees71 and Dale

1. What is a black-body?

A black-body is an ideal object that absorbs all radiation incident on it and emits radiation at all wavelengths. It is a theoretical concept used to describe the behavior of objects that absorb and emit radiation.

2. How are black-body photons generated?

Black-body photons are generated through a process called thermal radiation. This occurs when the atoms or molecules of a substance vibrate and release energy in the form of photons, which are particles of light.

3. What factors affect the generation of black-body photons?

The generation of black-body photons is affected by the temperature of the object and the material it is made of. Higher temperatures result in a greater number of photons being emitted, and different materials have different abilities to absorb and emit radiation.

4. Can black-body photons be seen?

Yes, black-body photons can be seen if they fall within the visible spectrum of light. However, most of the photons emitted by a black-body are in the infrared range, which cannot be seen by the human eye.

5. Why are black-body photons important in science?

Black-body photons are important in science because they are used to explain and predict the behavior of objects that absorb and emit radiation. They are also used in various fields, such as thermodynamics and astrophysics, to study the properties of different materials and objects.