1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic moment of singly ionized helium

1. Mar 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the magnetic moment of singly ionized helium in terms of Bohr Magneton

I know the expression for the Bohr Magneton -- I am not trying to get a walk-through here as I want to do this myself, but I just want to know if I am correct in assuming that to get the problem going I use the Bohr radius expression, but with Z=2 and e = 1 (since we have one electron and two protons).

Plugging in the Bohr radius to the expression for angular momentum ([itex]L= 2\pi \nu r^2[/itex] after that.

Mostly I wasn't sure if I should assume its the magnetic moment of the nucleus or the electron around it...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Mar 29, 2014 #3
    that's just it -- it isn't entirely clear from the question whether we're supposed to work from the spins or fro mthe shell model, or derive the whole thing. I was going to derive it and try to go from there.

5. Mar 29, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well what does the coursework do?

6. Mar 30, 2014 #5
    well, so far he hasn't gone into the equations using Lande g-factor yet, or any of that. So I suspect that I should do the following:

-calculate the radius of single electron orbit around He nucleus using Bohr model
    - plug that into the expressions for magnetic moment, working basically classically
    - see how that compares to bohr magneton

Does that sound reasonable?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted