What GOOD has George W. Bush done for the USA?

• News
  • Thread starter Keyser Söze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
I'm sure he has done some good....In summary, the conversation revolves around discussing the accomplishments of the US president, George W. Bush. While many criticize his actions and policies, there are some who point out his good deeds such as being a good ambassador, his AIDS policy in Africa, and elements of his immigration policy. Others mention his tax cuts, keeping the country safe from terrorism, and refusing to ratify the Kyoto Treaty. Some also mention his personal values and his dedication to his goals despite opposition. However, there are also criticisms about his spending and his relationship with the Evangelical Right. The conversation emphasizes the need for proof and reliable sources when discussing the president's accomplishments.
WarPhalange said:
Anthrax attacks don't count? Domestic terrorism = terrorism.
Yes they count, but that was immediately after after 9/11 (30-60 days) before any policy changes were put in place.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see. I must have misread what he said. It looked like he said "since 9/11", not "since 30-60 days after 9/11"

Missing the forest for the trees. The discussion was about judging the effectiveness of US policy in preventing terror attacks in the US, not about cute word play. Since policies did not change significantly on 9/12, slicing the calendar that finely is meaningless.

Clinton: 1

Bush: 2

And so the search for something nice to say about him continues.

WarPhalange said:
Clinton: 1

Bush: 2
What are you thinking? In '93 alone there was also the Pansi attack at the front gate of the CIA. Look at the links posted above. There were dozen of attacks on US civilians throughout the world and domestically all during the 90's, including one or more famous attacks nearly every year. By any measure attacks on US citizens have declined in this decade.

mheslep said:
Please cite one.

yes

No such 'terr. proof utopia' claim has been made here, that is a strawman. The question is one of relative improvement.

'93 World Trade center attack under Clinton?

The anthrax attacks were mentioned. Also the DC snipers, suicide massacres at NIU, Virginia tech. etc.

Second of all, there was no straw man, the claim that the Bush has kept us "safe from terrorism since 9/11" was made.

Third, I don't see this "relative improvement".. And I don't see any truth in Russ' claim that there were far fewer attacks in the last seven years. How many fewer attacks are we talking here?

Last edited:
mheslep said:
What are you thinking? In '93 alone there was also the Pansi attack at the front gate of the CIA. Look at the links posted above. There were dozen of attacks on US civilians throughout the world and domestically all during the 90's, including one or more famous attacks nearly every year. By any measure attacks on US citizens have declined in this decade.

Only if you don't count what is going on in Iraq. American civilians are being attacked constantly there.

the best thing george bush has done for america is make it absolutely clear how foolish it is to elect an ideologically paralyzed moron as president. he has also made reluctant citizens sit up and take a role in the current contest. this seems likely to insure that a more intelligent candidate will at last be chosen next time. i.e. he has given the public an undeniable object lesson in political savvy.

Last edited:
He also showed how truly spineless the democrats really are.

mathwonk said:
this seems likely to insure that a more intelligent candidate will at last be chosen next time.
...a more intelligent candidate... - I guess so.
...the more intelligent candidate... - I remain highly skeptical of that.

Indeed, he has done a remarkable thing and raised the level of candidates from both parties. Neither wants to be caught with someone like that as their standard bearer this time. How can we lose?