What happens if Sox win tonight?

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
In summary, the Red Sox have won the World Series, breaking the famous "Curse of the Bambino" and causing much excitement and celebration among their fans. Some claim that the lunar eclipse may have played a role in their victory, while others point to the team's impressive comeback against the Yankees in the ALCS. However, some feel that the World Series was an anticlimax compared to the intense rivalry with the Yankees. There is also discussion about what will become of the famous curse now that it has been lifted.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
IF the Red Sox win tonight, will Hell freeze?

I'm pretty sure that the jar of green water that I have had on display in my classroom for three years will spontaneously separate into clear water and a drop of food coloring. So, aside from a violation of the 2nd Law, what else might happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chi Meson said:
What happens if Sox win tonight?

I'll bet your signature changes, again ! :biggrin:

There's no need to worry about the end of the world, though. That will only come when the Sox meet the Cubs in the World Series.

Chi Meson said:
IF the Red Sox win tonight, will Hell freeze?

Holy cow! That means Jessica from my 9th grade English class will finally go out on a date with me!

Let's see, 9th grade was like 30 years ago. I can just see another one of those Marie Callendar situations - she didn't look anything like the picture on her TV dinners.

The Sox are going to win, as much as I hate to say that. Which means there won't be any curse this year...

There is a curse.

It's in hockey now. :(

BobG said:
Holy cow! That means Jessica from my 9th grade English class will finally go out on a date with me!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Best reply yet.

What is the "Red Sox"??
Something worth to know about?

arildno said:
What is the "Red Sox"??

A baseball team that hasn't won a World Series (championship games) in something like 80 years.

EDIT: To answer your other question, no it isn't really worth knowing about. :tongue2:

Last edited:
Ok then:
Are you thrilled that Oslo's soccer team "Vålerenga" stands a real chance of smashing the hegemony "Rosenborg" has had for the last 20 years in the premier national league?

I am, at least sort of..

After the Red Sox's win tonight...

...you invest in Beer Companies.

arildno said:
What is the "Red Sox"??

Oh, yes. My apologies to those who are not north or south american, or Japanese, or otherwise following Baseball. I usually don't, but I am a New Englander, and I have rooted for the Sox for 35 years only to be disappointed repeatedly.

arildno said:
Ok then:
Are you thrilled that Oslo's soccer team "Vålerenga" stands a real chance of smashing the hegemony "Rosenborg" has had for the last 20 years in the premier national league?

I am, at least sort of..

Yes, that's what I'm talking about! GO Valerenga!

PS: it's been 85 years for Boston!

I feel for you having been disappointed for 85 years on end. That is really sad..

And there's the whole story of the Babe Ruth trade and the ill-luck that followed ...

*sigh* I hope they both lose...

Chi Meson said:
what else might happen?

hopefully no more rioting :grumpy:

JasonRox said:
There is a curse.

It's in hockey now. :(

There is no curse in hockey. Just a bunch of greedy players that have a less product than the NBA, MLB and NFL (failing to compete).

The real curse in Major League Baseball is in the Montreal Expos. Think about it - no other team has gone through more crap than them.

Dagenais said:
The real curse in Major League Baseball is in the Montreal Expos. Think about it - no other team has gone through more crap than them.

Location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location............

Red Sox suck still suck even if they win. They suck so bad that Babe Ruth had to make a deal with whoever your god is or isn't because he's been blamed. He pleads to let them win once because he is suffering so bad from the blame.

Next season baseball will be baseball again.

i win 300$ on a bet, that's what's going to happen

IMO they won because of the lunar eclipse.
Enjoy being winners now Soxers 'cause the next luner eclipse during the world series won't be till at least 2050.

My favorite joke on the subject (although Flippy does make an astute, and well defended argument) used to be:

What is the difference between the hot dogs at Yankee Stadium, and the hot dogs in Fenway park?

Answer: you can't get a Fenway hot dog in October.

It's over. I can get back to normal.

Chi Meson said:
yay.

Uhhh ? :uhh: Is that all you're going to give us ? Maybe it hasn't sunk in yet...the Sox actually won, Chi. They did it ... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ! Woooohoooooo ! :biggrin:

TO be honest, I was more excited at the beating of the Yankees. That was fun! These last four games were a bit of a denouement.

Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and relize that I'm not in shock anymore.

Chi Meson said:
TO be honest, I was more excited at the beating of the Yankees. That was fun! These last four games were a bit of a denouement.

Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and relize that I'm not in shock anymore.

True. The ALCS was more exciting, with much more of a rivalry, and having to come back from a 0-3 start.

The World Series was a bit of an anticlimax (even with Schilling's blood-soaked "red sock"). Like you said, the plot had peaked at game 7 against the Yankees.

Anticlimax for sure. This was the first time in a long time that I didn't watch any of the world series games. No interest. For me the world series just never happened this year. I am not in denial, I did lose a bet. But this whole big curse thing was just not as exciting to finally see broken as the past records the Yankees have broken. Individual feats. Those are worth watching.

Alas, I fear the lack of enthusiasm is that the loss of a great curse overshadows the trivial triumph of a few players who will be quickly forgotten as soon as they sign a free agent contract with a different team. How are we going to replace that great curse?

What are we to do with no more "Curse of the Bambino"? Can we transfer the curse to the Bruins (the Babe played with the Bruins for a very brief time)? Or does the Bruins '72 title negate that? Of course, maybe the Bruins are cursed for sacriligousness - best sports bumper sticker ever was "Jesus Saves - but Esposito scores on the rebound!"

Chicago's a worthy replacment with two cursed teams - the Cubs' Billy Goat curse and the White Sox's Black Sox curse.

Maybe Cleveland can replace Boston as the cursed city - the Indians have the Chief Wahoo curse for an offensive mascot and the Browns have the Brown Curse (sounds better than the Modell curse). Art Modell fired Paul Brown (the Brown's founder) as coach and the team's most memorable playoff moments since has been "The Interception", "The Drive", "The Fumble", and, of course, "The Ugly". Tim Couch is proof that the curse has outlasted Modell's time in Cleveland.

The Cavaliers have the "Ted Stepien" curse (although, technically, you could say the curse began when Nick Mileti's Cavaliers were locked out of Nick Mileti's Coliseum because they couldn't pay the rent, which forced Mileti to sell the Cavaliers. A month later and a with new NBA record for owners in one month (4), Ted Stepien stood atop the tallest building in Cleveland and threw softballs from it - one broken wrist, one fractured cheek, a broken windshield, and dozens of minor injuries sustained during the ensuing panic by the fans and a great curse was in full swing. Sixty players in five years - one even played against the Cavaliers one game, for the Cavaliers the next game, and against the Cavaliers the next game. It couldn't even be broken by adding a special 'Stepien exit draft pick' to entice someone to buy the team (since the Dallas Mavericks owned more Cavaliers' first round picks than anybody else, the Cavaliers got to draft immediately after Dallas for several years).

Yeah, Cleveland's the new cursed town on the block.

flippy...admit it - you're just a sore Yankee fan ! :cry:

BobG said:
Yeah, Cleveland's the new cursed town on the block.

I'll second that : between the Cavs, the Browns and the Injuns, that city's been living a nightmare for the last half a century.

i hate the red sox.

apparently the "curse" is gone.

RIP babe ruth

(im a yankees fan)

its ironic though, i think the yankees are the only ones that could have beaten them, saint louis was terrible. The yankees made one mistake that cost them the series on the second to last game...ouch.

Last edited:
Rivera blew it . It was 2 out and 2 strikes, he could've just focused everything on that one last single pitch, blocked everything out and the Yankees could've won the series.

We'll see the Red Sox win again...in 2090! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
I'll second that : between the Cavs, the Browns and the Injuns, that city's been living a nightmare for the last half a century.
Don't forget the Rams. They moved to California in the 40s just when they were getting good.

Luckily, the series was also an anti-climax for the City of Boston. No one died this time. Beating the Yankees was like shaking a bottle of champagne, and when that cork blew off...

Beating the Cards was more like a can of beer from the fridge.