What happens if Sox win tonight?

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Chi Meson said:
TO be honest, I was more excited at the beating of the Yankees. That was fun! These last four games were a bit of a denouement.

Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and relize that I'm not in shock anymore.
True. The ALCS was more exciting, with much more of a rivalry, and having to come back from a 0-3 start.

The World Series was a bit of an anticlimax (even with Schilling's blood-soaked "red sock"). Like you said, the plot had peaked at game 7 against the Yankees.

Anticlimax for sure. This was the first time in a long time that I didn't watch any of the world series games. No interest. For me the world series just never happened this year. I am not in denial, I did lose a bet. But this whole big curse thing was just not as exciting to finally see broken as the past records the Yankees have broken. Individual feats. Those are worth watching.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Alas, I fear the lack of enthusiasm is that the loss of a great curse overshadows the trivial triumph of a few players who will be quickly forgotten as soon as they sign a free agent contract with a different team. How are we going to replace that great curse?

What are we to do with no more "Curse of the Bambino"? Can we transfer the curse to the Bruins (the Babe played with the Bruins for a very brief time)? Or does the Bruins '72 title negate that? Of course, maybe the Bruins are cursed for sacriligousness - best sports bumper sticker ever was "Jesus Saves - but Esposito scores on the rebound!"

Chicago's a worthy replacment with two cursed teams - the Cubs' Billy Goat curse and the White Sox's Black Sox curse.

Maybe Cleveland can replace Boston as the cursed city - the Indians have the Chief Wahoo curse for an offensive mascot and the Browns have the Brown Curse (sounds better than the Modell curse). Art Modell fired Paul Brown (the Brown's founder) as coach and the team's most memorable playoff moments since has been "The Interception", "The Drive", "The Fumble", and, of course, "The Ugly". Tim Couch is proof that the curse has outlasted Modell's time in Cleveland.

The Cavaliers have the "Ted Stepien" curse (although, technically, you could say the curse began when Nick Mileti's Cavaliers were locked out of Nick Mileti's Coliseum because they couldn't pay the rent, which forced Mileti to sell the Cavaliers. A month later and a with new NBA record for owners in one month (4), Ted Stepien stood atop the tallest building in Cleveland and threw softballs from it - one broken wrist, one fractured cheek, a broken windshield, and dozens of minor injuries sustained during the ensuing panic by the fans and a great curse was in full swing. Sixty players in five years - one even played against the Cavaliers one game, for the Cavaliers the next game, and against the Cavaliers the next game. It couldn't even be broken by adding a special 'Stepien exit draft pick' to entice someone to buy the team (since the Dallas Mavericks owned more Cavaliers' first round picks than anybody else, the Cavaliers got to draft immediately after Dallas for several years).

Yeah, Cleveland's the new cursed town on the block.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
flippy...admit it - you're just a sore Yankee fan ! :cry:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
BobG said:
Yeah, Cleveland's the new cursed town on the block.
I'll second that : between the Cavs, the Browns and the Injuns, that city's been living a nightmare for the last half a century.

i hate the red sox.

apparently the "curse" is gone.

RIP babe ruth

(im a yankees fan)

its ironic though, i think the yankees are the only ones that could have beaten them, saint louis was terrible. The yankees made one mistake that cost them the series on the second to last game...ouch.

Last edited:
Rivera blew it . It was 2 out and 2 strikes, he could've just focused everything on that one last single pitch, blocked everything out and the Yankees could've won the series.

We'll see the Red Sox win again....in 2090!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
I'll second that : between the Cavs, the Browns and the Injuns, that city's been living a nightmare for the last half a century.
Don't forget the Rams. They moved to California in the 40s just when they were getting good.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Luckily, the series was also an anti-climax for the City of Boston. No one died this time. Beating the Yankees was like shaking a bottle of champagne, and when that cork blew off...

Beating the Cards was more like a can of beer from the fridge.