Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens if the screen in young's double slit experiment is replac

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    What happens if the screen in young's double slit experiment is replaced with a photoelectric material?
    Electrons should be emitted only from regions where constructive interference occurs! Doesn't that mean in this case light will depic both wave and particle nature? That is clearly not possible.
    Where am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anytime that light (a photon) is absorbed, you might say that the particle nature of light is evidenced. You don't need a photoelectric setup to say that.

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3
    So the two things aren't mutually exclusive?

5. Jan 31, 2014 #4

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You will find that it comes down to a matter of interpretation. There is nothing about the idea that violates any quantum mechanical rules.

6. Jan 31, 2014 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Despite repeated claims in the popular-science literature there's no wave-particle duality in modern QED, and the photoelectric effect does not prove the quantum nature of the em. field. It's described very well as the interaction of quantized electrons bound in the metal with a classical em. wave.

7. Jan 31, 2014 #6
    Could you please suggest me a reference so I can read more about it?

8. Feb 1, 2014 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The photo effect is treated in many modern books about quantum mechanics in the chapter on time-dependent perturbation theory, e.g., in

Landau, Lifshitz, Course on Theoretical Physics III, Quantum Mechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook