What happens if you add oxygen to water lacking oxygen?

In summary, adding oxygen to oxygen-deficient water can influence physical properties such as temperature and density. The introduction of oxygen can change the bacterial makeup of the water and potentially raise the pH. However, the temperature change and expansion caused by adding oxygen may be minimal and may also be affected by factors such as altitude and gas dissolution. Further research is needed to fully understand the effects of adding oxygen to water.
MulderFBI
Does adding oxygen influence any physical properties of water which is oxygen deficient? Is it possible that adding oxygen leads to some temperature change and expansion?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
MulderFBI said:
Does adding oxygen influence any physical properties of water which is oxygen deficient?
I would think that the aquatic plants and fish would care...
MulderFBI said:
Is it possible that adding oxygen leads to some temperature change and expansion?
Why a temperature change? I'm assuming the temperature of the O2 introduced matches the H2O temperature, right?

And why would it change the density? Does the O2 dissolve or not?

Likes MulderFBI
berkeman said:
I would think that the aquatic plants and fish would care...

Why a temperature change? I'm assuming the temperature of the O2 introduced matches the H2O temperature, right?

And why would it change the density? Does the O2 dissolve or not?

No it doesn't - oxygen comes from surface air (lets say ranging from 10-30 degrees) and it mixes with deoxygenated water at 4 deg celsius. And the expansion should come from temperature increase (above 4deg anomaly point) but I would like to know if that really happens.

The air will be implemented with a gore-tex like membrane allowing O2 or air molecules to enter deoxygenated water but not allowing water to get out. So if O2 comes from hotter than water air will this lead to temperature increase or it's more complex? I wonder...

Last edited:
Assuming lake or pond water in a fixed volume, not chlorinated tap water:
Pond water has lots of organisms that use oxygen, so adding oxygen changes the bacterial makeup of the water because the aerobic beasties are dormant when oxygen levels are low. Oxygen is toxic to anaerobes, so they shut down. This can raise pH because anaerobes produce molecules like H2S that are acidic.

You are throwing off questions you could answer, so you get to give us the answer. Note that warming water decreases oxygen solubility, so does altitude.

Off the cuff ignoring some complications:
Assume that oxygen dissolved in water has zero solution volume, I'm not looking that up right now. If you "magically" add oxygen at 50 °C to the entire volume of 100L of pond water at 20 °C to a level of 10g/L you have added 1000g of "hot" oxygen to the tank. You have 1000g at 50 plus 100*1000g at 20 °C in the same volume. The temperature will rise by _____ degrees. (hint: this is not a big number)

Note: you will get evaporative cooling by adding oxygen via the surface. I do not know precisely what happens when you bubble warm oxygen into a tank of colder water in terms of evaporative cooling -- some has to exist. I gather that @Bystander probably knows a priori. I'm also ignoring the fact that gas dissolution in water is usually exothermic - so warm bubbles probably ultimately cool the water. Don't know.

jim mcnamara said:
that @Bystander probably knows a priori.
Solubility is very approximately equal volumes at STP; this thread is going to be locked under the "PMM" clause, so, I've been ignoring it.

Yup. It is locked now.

1. What is the purpose of adding oxygen to water lacking oxygen?

The purpose of adding oxygen to water lacking oxygen is to increase the oxygen level in the water. This is important because many aquatic organisms, such as fish, require oxygen to survive. Without enough oxygen in the water, these organisms can suffocate and die.

2. How does adding oxygen to water lacking oxygen affect the water's pH level?

Adding oxygen to water lacking oxygen can increase the water's pH level. This is because oxygen reacts with water to form hydroxide ions, which are basic. The increase in hydroxide ions can lead to a slight increase in pH.

3. What happens to the oxygen when it is added to water lacking oxygen?

When oxygen is added to water lacking oxygen, it dissolves into the water. This means that the oxygen molecules become dispersed among the water molecules. This process is known as oxygenation and it increases the concentration of dissolved oxygen in the water.

4. Can adding oxygen to water lacking oxygen harm aquatic organisms?

Adding oxygen to water lacking oxygen can actually benefit aquatic organisms. However, it is important to add oxygen gradually and not in excessive amounts. Too much oxygen can lead to supersaturation, which can be harmful to some aquatic organisms.

5. How do you add oxygen to water lacking oxygen?

Oxygen can be added to water lacking oxygen in a few different ways. One method is by using an aerator, which pumps air into the water to increase the oxygen level. Another method is by using chemicals, such as hydrogen peroxide, which releases oxygen when added to water. Additionally, photosynthesis by aquatic plants can also increase the oxygen level in water.