What happens to the mass of a muon when it decays

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Quandry
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Muon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Quandry
Messages
78
Reaction score
12
a muon has a mass about 207 times that of an electron. When the muon decays it produces an electron and two neutrinos (simplest form). Neutrinos have minimal mass, so what happens to the rest of the mass?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It goes into energy.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
It goes into energy.
Thanks, I sort of guessed that. But I was really wondering how the transformation took place and what form the energy took.
I have not found reference to photon emission which I would have expected with deceleration energy loss.
Having lost the energy equivalence of 206 electrons there must be some very substantial result.
 
Quandry said:
Thanks, I sort of guessed that. But I was really wondering how the transformation took place and what form the energy took.

The electron and the 2 neutrinos are the minimum particle emission

Quandry said:
I have not found reference to photon emission which I would have expected with deceleration energy loss.

I did find several references to photon emission the other day when looking up this subject
have a deeper google :wink:

Dave