What happens when a building, or town is abandoned?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the conversation discusses the decay rate of abandoned buildings and neighborhoods and the factors that contribute to their deterioration. The speakers mention various examples, such as Olympic venues, Chernobyl and Fukushima, and abandoned islands, and suggest resources for further research, such as the series Life After People and videos. Ultimately, they conclude that the timeline for a neighborhood to appear abandoned varies depending on several factors.
Tyrion101
I've been trying to do research on the decay rate at which stuff starts looking like it's a hundred, and falling apart, but a brief attempt at a google search only gave me results for mostly articles about Olympic venues that have been abandoned. Which is nice but not exactly what I want. I suppose what I need are either some answers here, or a better question I can ask google. My brother and I are modeling a small neighborhood (in 3d) that should have the appearance of being abandoned, but I want it to look fairly realistic, in terms of wear and tear. I suppose it depends on the building, and the building materials, and the things inside, and environment. So, at what point would a neighborhood look like it had not survived a war, from simply just being left there?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look for pictures of Chernobyl or Fukushima. There is also an island somewhere near NYC where formerly has been a psychiatry, and a Japanese (?) island that hosted miners (?) and is now abandoned.

Likes Bystander
Two things came to my mind: The series Life After People and this video that I saw a while ago. I When I looked it up again, I came across a lot of other material. Of course, the answer depends very much on your time scale.

EDIT: Sorry, @Bystander, overlooked your link to Life After People.

Likes Bystander

1. What causes a building or town to become abandoned?

There are various reasons that can lead to a building or town becoming abandoned. Some common factors include natural disasters, economic decline, war or conflict, environmental hazards, and changes in population or demographics.

2. How does abandonment affect the environment?

Abandoned buildings or towns can have negative effects on the environment. They can become a breeding ground for pests and lead to the spread of diseases. Moreover, abandoned buildings may contain hazardous materials that can harm the surrounding environment. They can also contribute to urban decay and decrease the overall aesthetic value of an area.

3. Can abandoned buildings or towns be repurposed or restored?

Yes, abandoned buildings or towns can be repurposed or restored. Many cities and organizations have programs to revitalize abandoned areas and turn them into livable spaces or tourist attractions. However, the cost and feasibility of restoration may vary depending on the condition of the building or town and the resources available.

4. What happens to the infrastructure and utilities in abandoned buildings or towns?

When a building or town is abandoned, the infrastructure and utilities may be left to decay or may be shut off by the local authorities. This can lead to problems such as leaky pipes, electrical hazards, and potential health risks. In some cases, these systems may be salvaged or repurposed for other uses.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with exploring abandoned buildings or towns?

Exploring abandoned buildings or towns can be dangerous and should not be done without proper permission and precautions. These structures may be unstable, have weak foundations, or contain hazardous materials. Additionally, trespassing on private property can lead to legal consequences. It is important to exercise caution and follow safety guidelines when exploring abandoned areas.